Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I´m sure you´re all familiar with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I was wondering if the US goverment was looking to set up something similar in the 1930s, who do you think would be included? Who would be possible enemies?

I suppose Doc Savage would make a good leader of the group, and he seems to have a good mix of talents. The Shadow would work well for more stealthy missions.

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can we just assume that Nazis, Illuminati, and communists are the main enemies? Even if Capt. Spectre isn't there, they still sound like a fairly hardcore-America team, perhaps like the Avengers, but...more subtle.
I think Nazis are always good choices for bad guys. The best villains in the Indiana Jones series were the Nazis. Illuminati are good villains too.

Rather than communists, because their more atomicpunk (i.e. 1950s), I would go the other way. Powerful capitalists and corrupt politicians are more fitting for that era as villains. Let's not forget mobsters.

Wesley R. Mortega said:
Can we just assume that Nazis, Illuminati, and communists are the main enemies? Even if Capt. Spectre isn't there, they still sound like a fairly hardcore-America team, perhaps like the Avengers, but...more subtle.
Mobsters perhaps. Honestly, I don't see a team of heroes who beat up Wall St. criminals, though that would be pretty appropriate. Maybe the good Captain should pay a visit to Tony Hayward while he's at it...
Wesley R. Mortega said:

Mad scientists constructing their infernal machines in order to Hold the World to Ransom are a favorite villain for the time. Shoulder-buttoned medical jacket a must; goggles optional.
Doctor Steel agrees. Except for the goggles. Goggles are mandatory, dammit!
Having nazis as villains would be such a cliché.
I wouldn't say Nazis are overused as villains so much as I would say that they are a classic among villains.
Here's a little off-topic om age to Dick Tracy, name-caller extraordinaire.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/66692/detail/.

Ella Kremper said:
I'd say only have Nazis if you'll have BJ Blaskowitz from the Wolfenstein games. I do agree they're a tad overdone. I like the idea of corruption establishment and Mafia, however. Throw in Dick Tracy as a member for good measure.

Atterton said:
Having nazis as villains would be such a cliché.
Certain parallels between Daleks and Nazis (in terms of roles) can be drawn, and in that sense, yes, there probably should be a fresh enemy; yet the question remains: who?

I vote Alien Illuminati controlling the American people through subliminal messages in each and every form of media, and then some kinds we don't know about for good measure.
Aliens could be good. There was a huge meteorite that hit Chicora, PA in 1938. hmmm, 1938. Perhaps it wasn't Grover's Mills after all...... Let me see, they caused the great dust storms!
BTW, found this while looking over wikipedia's "years in science" lists:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_in_science

As for candidates, real world: Robert Byrd, Babe Didrikson, Amelia Earhart, Jesse Owens
and some of the fictional: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero#History http://www.vintagelibrary.com/pulpfiction/PulpFictionCentral.php

Wesley R. Mortega said:
Certain parallels between Daleks and Nazis (in terms of roles) can be drawn, and in that sense, yes, there probably should be a fresh enemy; yet the question remains: who?

I vote Alien Illuminati controlling the American people through subliminal messages in each and every form of media, and then some kinds we don't know about for good measure.
this is an awesome discussion, heres the thing with batman, have you seen him "work with" the justice league, he kinda does what he wants, and then shows up and is like hi I'm batman and hands over some genious answer, batman is almost cheating :)

Jonny B. Goode said:
The Batman would be perfect. We might also include Sky Captain.

I think the 40s would have their own group (although likely a number of them would be the same). Sgt. Rock would be among them.
Buckaroo Banzai found out the answer to that. :)

Hexidecima said:
Aliens could be good. There was a huge meteorite that hit Chicora, PA in 1938. hmmm, 1938. Perhaps it wasn't Grover's Mills after all...... Let me see, they caused the great dust storms!
Indeed he did.

and I am an offical Blue Blaze Irregular ;)

Larry said:
Buckaroo Banzai found out the answer to that. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service