Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Hey Folks!

This is a picture of my grandfather (on the bike) at what we assume is Fort Bliss, TX. This would have been taken just before he shipped off to Europe for the Great War; thus, probably late '16 to '17.

Does anyone have ideas about what make and model the motorcycle is?

Many thanks in advance!

(And, I thought you all would likely enjoy the picture!)

ABD

Views: 382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This isn't much help, but the vast majority of military bikes were Harleys, as I understand it.

Love the tire tread! I'm trying to figure what it says.

What is the source of the image?

From Pixel Janowski - 

It is an Indian Motorcycle of approximately 1915 vintage. They have the same bump in the fender above the wheel, curved rear bar for the fork, large lamp and tank above it (likely a separate tank for kerosene for the lamp). The sidecar looks different because it has been smashed at the front.

http://community.motozania.com/_1915-Indian-Twin-with-Sidecar-/phot...

Fabulous image - so evocative on an era.

Lawren: Other than a 'family photo' that I recv'd on a disc full of photo transfers, I can't say. Funny, I never thought to wonder 'who took this snap?'!

Lawren H.B. said:

What is the source of the image?

Tome/Pixel: THANK YOU! This means that my mother was indeed right in her guess. You sussed out the salient details quite well. Thank you, thank you!

Tome Wilson said:

From Pixel Janowski - 

It is an Indian Motorcycle of approximately 1915 vintage. They have the same bump in the fender above the wheel, curved rear bar for the fork, large lamp and tank above it (likely a separate tank for kerosene for the lamp). The sidecar looks different because it has been smashed at the front.

http://community.motozania.com/_1915-Indian-Twin-with-Sidecar-/phot...

To jump to Deven's note about the tread: DOES it say anything or is it merely an odd pattern? Do we have any 'treadologists' here? I can imagine that they went through tires quite quickly in that West Texas/New Mexico landscape.

Deven Science said:

This isn't much help, but the vast majority of military bikes were Harleys, as I understand it.

Love the tire tread! I'm trying to figure what it says.

Agreed, Ant. If you could see the pictures of my grandfather before he went, he was noticeably shorter and scrawnier. The army was good for him! (before he went to war and got a collapsed lung from being gassed, that is...).

The fellow in the side-car with that hair-do and tie! AND what looks to be knickers? (plus-twos?)

Ant said:

Fabulous image - so evocative on an era.

Tome nailed it. Definitely an Indian Twin. Good Hunt, Tome!

Firestone NON SKID. Replicas are still being made.

Pico: Well done, sir! Once you know what you are looking for, the words are quite clear! How cool is that?! Now THAT is an eye for detail! Thank you!

Pico Elgin said:

Firestone NON SKID. Replicas are still being made.

My first post and glad to be of service. I've been lurking here for a while and hope to add a bit of my knowledge, what that it is, to the community.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service