Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Hello everyone!

I began my journey in Steampunk, I first experienced SP by reading Pax Britannia and moved into Dieselpunk recently. I am currently reading "The Mammoth Book of Dieselpunk.  But my interest really lies with what I believe is atomic punk - Godzilla, rockets, moon colonies, nuclear warfare, etc.  My big question is what books do APunkers think are typical of AP?  I have found some sites like "MassPanic" but they seem to be more towards art. I plan on using them for inspiration but it still doesn't quite capture what AP is.

Does anyone have any idea what makes up Atomic Punk, beyond the little bit of info that Wiki has? 

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, Atompunk derives its inspiration from the zeitgeist of the 50's and 60's so everything would have that shiny-new and to-great-excess feel to it.  I suppose a good example of Atompunk would be the Fallout series, where everything is powered by fusion cores and nuclear generators.  The newest one, Fallout 4, actually begins prior to the apocalypse so that would likely give you a better example of pre-apocalyptic technology and life in an Atompunk world.  Unfortunately, I haven't done a great deal of research into Atompunk, being more of a Dieselpunk cat than anything else.

Would "Godzilla, rockets, moon colonies, nuclear warfare, etc." also encompass "Retro-Futurism", as in Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and the like? I'm a big fan of such things, the art deco design takes on everything from rockets to ray guns.

Of course if you put a dystopian twist on all that, it might morph into another category.

Just a thought.....

To me, Atompunk is shiny white plastic, and small high-tech gadgets. I think of the early Bond films, and the show The Prisoner.

That sounds about right to me, that 'edge of the late 50's/early 60's' feel. Dr.No's lab is a key moment :)

Deven Science said:

To me, Atompunk is shiny white plastic, and small high-tech gadgets. I think of the early Bond films, and the show The Prisoner.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service