Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

As I was on the road today, I was thinking about our community.  

We are attached via this website, and a handful of other networks, but as a whole, I really don't know too much about you people.  One of the best parts of having a community is not only sharing what we like, but also sharing what we know so we can help one another.

To get the ball rolling, I'd love to know what everyone in our *punk world does for a living.  Are you a student, an engineer, a full-time parent, a mad scientist?  Did you find your fortune at sea, work at factory for 50 years, or did you pull yourself up from the gutter by your own bootstraps?

As most of you already know, I'm a web engineer/designer at a major East Coast telecom in the States.  The commute sucks and the hours are long, but it gives me the money and time I need to keep Dieselpunks alive and running.  Plus, it helps me stay on top of the tech you guys play with every day.

How about you?  What do you do?  Is it where you thought you would be?  If not, what can we do to help you get back on track?

Views: 1454

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Existential thought combined with Jungian psychology? Wow! Right up my alley.

Aaron B. Daniels said:

Doctor of Clinical psychology. I was  a psychotherapist for 10 years. I teach clinical psych at New England College--a small liberal arts college in central New Hampshire. Author of two books: 'Imaginal Reality' volumes one and two about Imaginal Psychology--combining existential thought with Jungian psychology. Third book on the way within a year (hopefully) on the use of imagination in criminal profiling.

Aaron,

I'm from NH too, what a small world wide web! 

I'm looking foward to your new book as I like to kick back with a John Douglas book here and there, Mindhunter is one of my faves. Your new book sounds very interesting! Nice to meet you sir :)

Aaron B. Daniels said:

Doctor of Clinical psychology. I was  a psychotherapist for 10 years. I teach clinical psych at New England College--a small liberal arts college in central New Hampshire. Author of two books: 'Imaginal Reality' volumes one and two about Imaginal Psychology--combining existential thought with Jungian psychology. Third book on the way within a year (hopefully) on the use of imagination in criminal profiling.

Tome, I found a great school.in Portland ME, It's a Stephen K Hayes quest center, he was one of the pioneers in bringing Ninjutsu to the western world.

Tome Wilson said:

@Anthony

Where did you find a ninjutsu teacher?

Larry,

A brief comment on my Imaginal Reality, Volume 1: Journey to the Voids (2011) and Imaginal Reality, Volume 2: Voidcraft (2011): They are firmly in the James Hillman, Thomas Moore, Henry Corbin school of thought--Archetypal Psychology (aka Imaginal Psychology). I use (abuse the hell out of) a fundamental metaphor of 'magic' to attempt to unseat psychologism and materialistic ways-of-knowing. To date, the books have primarily been read by occult types who have been taking the material a little too literally. The purpose of the book has much more to do with 'magical reality' than 'ritual magic'. Ergo, my passion for groups such as this that are devoted to the serious play of imagination!

Cheers!

Aaron

Larry said:

Existential thought combined with Jungian psychology? Wow! Right up my alley.

Aaron B. Daniels said:

Anthony,

Lovely to meet you as well. The forthcoming book takes the writings of John Douglas and Robert Ressler as its primary data. I am trying to suggest that, since Jungian psychologists have been working on how to make a disciplined use of imagination for close to a century, criminal profilers might benefit from having some sort of 'frame' within which to channel their imaginal work.

I also do some riffs on the role of the detective in the postmodern era.

Warm Regards,

Aaron

Anthony Scialla said:

Aaron,

I'm from NH too, what a small world wide web! 

I'm looking foward to your new book as I like to kick back with a John Douglas book here and there, Mindhunter is one of my faves. Your new book sounds very interesting! Nice to meet you sir :)

Aaron B. Daniels said:

I currently work for the State.  I am chained to a desk but at least I have a view and Alaskans are fun to work with. 

I also teach a couple fencing classes through Community Schools.  I am proud of my students but it is at least a 600 mile flight to the nearest tournament. 

I was an Army Aviator and own my own fixed wing plane now.  My wife and I also volunteer with CAP working with cadets as well as doing both air and ground SAR.  When I am not at home, the Hangar, or work I am usually on the range or not catching fish. 

I teach at a public high school. The pay is low, but I like the work. I've basically had two kinds of work: miserable good paying work for the ethically challenged, and personally satisfying but very low paying public sector work, like now. I was a history and philosophy major in school, and thought I'd teach social studies, but got involved with special education for personal reasons. I love doing it but, I'm not certain I can continue, because of the money. I may have to go back to working for THE MAN at some point.

I feel slightly intimidated by all the degrees in this thread.  I was a music major, actually went to school on a scholarship for piano and voice. But I decided that I wanted a family more than I wanted the music.  So I have spent the last 27 years as a full time wife and mother.  Once the kids got old enough that I didn't fear they would burn the house down when I turned my back,I got back into writing, which I had been pursuing alongside the music (wrote my first story at age 8, sold my first article age 17).  Worked as a writer and contributing editor for a magazine for two years, then went the freelance route.

Nowadays, I spoil my grandchildren when I get the chance, and I play music for church (which pays well, surprisingly), plus take gigs for weddings, funerals, whoever needs a piano (which doesn't pay as well, go figure).  I'm still writing, mostly freelance stuff, which pays not as well as the church, but better than the weddings (also more steady than the weddings).   One of my favorite ongoing writing gigs is writing for online audio drama.  Normally that's an unpaid gig, unless one of your shows gets picked up by a traditional radio station (unusual, but not unheard of).  So far, my steampunk show has been picked up by radio stations in Toronto, Portland and London.

Oh, forgot to mention.  Occasionally I've picked up gigs doing ASL interpretation.  I don't do it often, because I'm not certified.  But I have a circle of acquaintance who know me, are used to my style, and are willing to pay for my time despite the lack of certification.  (picked up ASL because I have a hearing impaired daughter)

Hi AJ.  Welcome to the site!

Tell us more about the radio show.  You glossed right over it, despite the fact it's running in an international market.

I think I've linked to it before, but here it is again.  Online audio drama is an amateur movement (well, 99% amateur), actors and writers and mixers and musicians creating shows as a hobby.  They cover the entire gauntlet of fiction, though many MANY of them are either fan-fiction shows, and most shows are oriented toward SF, fantasy, horror and pulp.  They vary in skill, from shockingly good to only fair; about what you'd expect from amateurs.  I work for Gypsy Audio, one of the smaller groups.

I myself have two ongoing shows, along with three or fourone-off pieces for Halloween or just for fun"Blackburn Gaslight Adentures" is steampunk, and has been running for a year or so (BTW:  release times are VERY slow for most production companies; this is a hobby, not an occupation, and mixing/acting/writing must surrender to real life all too often).  It's basically a pulp adventure set in the American Civil War, and involving robots,steam powered tanks, secret societies, all the pulpy goodness you could hope for. This is the one that has been picked up by regular radio.

My other show is a brand new one, called Fortuna.  Only two episodes have been released thus far, though the next two are in mixing process.  Fortuna is shameless space opera, about a band of space pirates trying to ply their trade in the no man's land between two warring galactic empires. This one is supposed to be lighthearted, mostly.  Interesting sidebar:  I got roped into playing one of the characters, Kitty.  I am no actor, I swear. But the producer and I were talking, and I read out a line to her to illustrate some point I was making in our conversation.  She and the mixer started laughing their butts off at my rendition, and said, "You're playing Kitty."  I said, "No, I'm not." And she said, "Well, I'm not putting it up for casting,so if you don't play her, nobody will." 

Yeah.  I got strong-armed into it.  By the way ,if you give it a listen, yes, that accent is mine, and it's one hundred percent genuine. If I were an actor, I could drum up a different accent. But I'm a writer, so what you hear is what you get. :D  Once nice thing:  Fortuna was nominated for a Parsec Award (a pretty prestigious podcasting award)  I didn't win, but I didn't care: one of the other podcasts I was up against was the Thrilling Adventure Hour, an episode with NATHAN FILLION as the guest star.  I went toe to toe with a Nathan Fillion vehicle and tied!  How much does that rock?

I am a native of the South Dakota USA.  I served in the US Airforce as security police ABGD until I was injured.  I returned to college and graduated with BAs in History, Classics and Philosophy.  I worked for Arthur Andersen while attending classes.  After living in Alaska for a spell, I returned to South Dakota and worked for Gateway Computers for 9 years, establishing their Intellectual Properties Department and putting together their patent portfolio. I watched while the company fell apart due to the corporatization of a successful bootstrap company.  I was scheduled to be laid-off  on Sept 11th 2001 but they waited a couple of days to soften the blow after the towers came down.  Since then I have been self-employed doing consulting work in intellectual properties for the past 14 years.

I am very active in gaming (table top, board games, miniatures, RPGs etc.) and have run several conventions.  I have currently established a new Gaming Non-Profit organization, which replaced the previous Gaming organization in my local area.  I am known for developing new home brewed games of all types.  I am currently working on a Dieselpunk RPG world that is a spin-off of previous RPG worlds I have created.

I am the father of 3 boys and my wife Eldrid and I have been married 31 years.

25 years field engineering, fleet management, failure analysis, instruction and tech writing on medium speed diesels and electrical  (rail, ship, offshore oil, mining, power generation).  Now out.   Working on reintroducing the vocational fiction.  A blend between Tom Clancy and  Chiltons manual but interactive that fizzled out in the 1950's.  Stay tuned!

The work will include "cameo appearances" with  such people as Sir Harry Ricardo, Boss Kettering, Harry Stutz, and  historically accurate. It will span 3 generations with a "current day" going on somewhat simultaneously. 

Very outside the box kind of project.  NOT a kiddie book.  An alternative to "community college" that will engage the mind and hands.

Blessed are the flexible.  They don't get bent out of shape

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service