Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

As I was on the road today, I was thinking about our community.  

We are attached via this website, and a handful of other networks, but as a whole, I really don't know too much about you people.  One of the best parts of having a community is not only sharing what we like, but also sharing what we know so we can help one another.

To get the ball rolling, I'd love to know what everyone in our *punk world does for a living.  Are you a student, an engineer, a full-time parent, a mad scientist?  Did you find your fortune at sea, work at factory for 50 years, or did you pull yourself up from the gutter by your own bootstraps?

As most of you already know, I'm a web engineer/designer at a major East Coast telecom in the States.  The commute sucks and the hours are long, but it gives me the money and time I need to keep Dieselpunks alive and running.  Plus, it helps me stay on top of the tech you guys play with every day.

How about you?  What do you do?  Is it where you thought you would be?  If not, what can we do to help you get back on track?

Views: 1439

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i work the for the very Dieselpunk sounding Ministry of Justice - and outside of that, take photographs lurk around vintage clothing shops, or play mandolin(i started off playing bluegrass, but i'm hooked on kletzmer at the moment)... and i watch too many old films...

Do you have a Room 101? Oh wait, that's in the Ministry of Love. :-)

gordon eight said:

i work the for the very Dieselpunk sounding Ministry of Justice

Nice community we are having here:)

as to me, right now I serve as a external relations department deputy director for the Olympic Games Transport Directorate (transport planning and delivery for mega-events, such as 2014 Sochi Olympics, Russia 2018 FIFA World cup etc.), and at the same time I am a post-graduate student in The Institute of World Economy and International Relations (IMEMO), Russian Academy of Science, specializing in International Relations, Global and Regional Development Political Problems, looking forward to get a degree this autumn (which is rather complicated considering full-time job on mega-projects, especially supervised directly by the Federal Government). I graduated from the Institute for International Relations in National Research Nuclear University MEPhI as a specialist in international science and technology cooperation, so science and international relations (and military tech, and history of diplomacy and warfare:) have been my interests for a long time, and I am not very happy with lots of bureacracy stuff I'm dealing with now. My "Red Dieselpunk" articles are "at a stop" due to this overload as well, but I will do my best to get them back on track.

What else...I live in Moscow and spend rather long time commuting, via Moscow metro - with a number of rather dieselpunkish stations:) I was born in Odessa, lived in China for rather long time, and I hope I'll manage to assemble some pieces on these "regional flavours' of Dieselpunk Universe. I play bass guitar, but the band is not very active for the moment.

And about helping...well, our community floods with great pieces of information on culture, technology and other stuff that helps to broaden one's horizons, and I hardly can imagine what else to ask for!


I'm a student at the University of Chicago.

Before I get to me, the Chief Petty Officer in me has to encourage Mr. von Kramer to consider joining the reserves! With 16 years in, doing another 4 years in the reserves would at least give you some kind of retirement, even if it's not as thorough as its active duty counterpart. I don't know your circumstances, sir, but if it is a possibility, seriously consider it, please!

And now, to me. In high school, half of my classes were related to metal work/fabrication. At 18, I joined the Navy reserves as a Steelworker. In 2000, I joined the Plumbers and Pipefitters Union as a pipefitter. Now a journeyman, I draw plans and blueprint details, lead crews building powerhouses, and sometimes, get in there and grind all day. I also build custom bicycles (plus one motorcycle, and currently, one truck) as my hobby. So, metalworking is pretty much in every aspect of my life, and has been for 25 years. 

Has it been that long? Crazy. Next year, I will have my 20 years in the Navy, and I will close that chapter of my life. I'm very excited, yet a little nervous about that.

T. von Kramer said:

  After 16 years in the military, I decided to start my life over. Now I take things apart and put them back together in different ways that work better for people. I'm happier than I've ever been but I still spend a lot of time contemplating the difference between my former life and current life, still adjusting to the transition and contrast between the two and I'm constantly amazed at what other people's lives are like and how they view things. I like to build things out of wood, metal and leather; usually a combination of the three, often on machines but preferably by hand. My commute is either a 20 minute walk through an interesting part of the city or a much quicker bike ride. Today's ride was a spectacle as I sped through the rain loaded down with several large rolls of material strapped to my back like Boba Fett's jet pack. They are soon to be...backpacks! Sorry Tome! I've had your commute, as well! So, that's me in the "trying to be appropriate for public consumption" version. Fabrications, Modifications, and Abominations.

I am in real life pretty much who I am online - I am a professional variety entertainer using music, magic, comedy, dance onstage. I host a couple of podcasts on itunes (most notably the Diesel Powered Podcast with Larry Amyett) and am the author of three books on magic and marketing magic.

In my spare time (what is spare time?) I am a pretty good illustrator and photographer.

See more at www.bigdaddycoolshows.com

 

   I appreciate the concern. I considered the Reserves and also the Guard but it ultimately came down to me simply not wanting to be away from my family anymore. It was time to walk in a new direction, while I still had my wits and my family.  

Deven Science said:

Before I get to me, the Chief Petty Officer in me has to encourage Mr. von Kramer to consider joining the reserves! With 16 years in, doing another 4 years in the reserves would at least give you some kind of retirement, even if it's not as thorough as its active duty counterpart. I don't know your circumstances, sir, but if it is a possibility, seriously consider it, please!

And now, to me. In high school, half of my classes were related to metal work/fabrication. At 18, I joined the Navy reserves as a Steelworker. In 2000, I joined the Plumbers and Pipefitters Union as a pipefitter. Now a journeyman, I draw plans and blueprint details, lead crews building powerhouses, and sometimes, get in there and grind all day. I also build custom bicycles (plus one motorcycle, and currently, one truck) as my hobby. So, metalworking is pretty much in every aspect of my life, and has been for 25 years. 

Has it been that long? Crazy. Next year, I will have my 20 years in the Navy, and I will close that chapter of my life. I'm very excited, yet a little nervous about that.

T. von Kramer said:

  After 16 years in the military, I decided to start my life over. Now I take things apart and put them back together in different ways that work better for people. I'm happier than I've ever been but I still spend a lot of time contemplating the difference between my former life and current life, still adjusting to the transition and contrast between the two and I'm constantly amazed at what other people's lives are like and how they view things. I like to build things out of wood, metal and leather; usually a combination of the three, often on machines but preferably by hand. My commute is either a 20 minute walk through an interesting part of the city or a much quicker bike ride. Today's ride was a spectacle as I sped through the rain loaded down with several large rolls of material strapped to my back like Boba Fett's jet pack. They are soon to be...backpacks! Sorry Tome! I've had your commute, as well! So, that's me in the "trying to be appropriate for public consumption" version. Fabrications, Modifications, and Abominations.

lets see I work as a front desk manager at a tennis club, I've been here for 3 years. The money is ok but the high point is I get out at 1 in the afternooon so I get to spend time at home with the kids. I only did 1 year of university - which is fine. I plan on going back to become a physical therapist since Iike helping people and making them feel better.
I'm sort of a Gal friday - I know how to do a lot of things, I'm pretty handy. I started refinishing furnature when I was a young teen and still do it from time to time. I get all types of odd ideas in my head and have been able to create most of them - although I have a habit of giving things away when I'm done with them.

I'm a student at a Seattle art college, set to major in Theatrical Costume design. I eventually want to move to doing costumes for film and television. 

Most of my spare time is spent lurking around car and motorcycle shows taking pictures, watching far too many cheesy movies, and swing dancing. I'm hoping to get more into motorcycling and bicycling. (I've got a project right now fixing up  an old 1938 Hercules bike)

Between you and me, we might need to create a separate bicycle section here for diesel area/inspired bikes.

Exdraghunt said:

I'm a student at a Seattle art college, set to major in Theatrical Costume design. I eventually want to move to doing costumes for film and television. 

Most of my spare time is spent lurking around car and motorcycle shows taking pictures, watching far too many cheesy movies, and swing dancing. I'm hoping to get more into motorcycling and bicycling. (I've got a project right now fixing up  an old 1938 Hercules bike)

I worked in a variety of positions both government and private-sector (quite an assortment over the years), mainly in public relations jobs with some graphic design and copy editing thrown in. Two years ago I was lucky enough to be able to take an early retirement, and now I don't do anything more strenuous than fool around at the keyboard, fool around with Photoshop, and update Pilsner's Picks once a month. I know perfectly well that it's 2012, but mentally I sort of live in 1935 or thereabouts.

One VERY interesting and multi talented community!

Ex-USN Tin-Can Engineer (Destroyer Snipe), ex-printing and bindery supervisor, still a Jack-of-All-Trades, full time semi driver (haul liquid nitrogen to the Bakkan oil fields), full time Opa (grandpa) of six (The BEST!), long time Vintage/Pulp/Weird War/Mil-Sci-Fi and Mil-History Junkie!, huge fan of ANYTHING dealing with X-Planes & Air Aces, and a real sucker for Sci-Fi B-Movies of any era (especially comedies LOL), and a . . .     

DIESEL HEAD FOREVER!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service