Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

As I was on the road today, I was thinking about our community.  

We are attached via this website, and a handful of other networks, but as a whole, I really don't know too much about you people.  One of the best parts of having a community is not only sharing what we like, but also sharing what we know so we can help one another.

To get the ball rolling, I'd love to know what everyone in our *punk world does for a living.  Are you a student, an engineer, a full-time parent, a mad scientist?  Did you find your fortune at sea, work at factory for 50 years, or did you pull yourself up from the gutter by your own bootstraps?

As most of you already know, I'm a web engineer/designer at a major East Coast telecom in the States.  The commute sucks and the hours are long, but it gives me the money and time I need to keep Dieselpunks alive and running.  Plus, it helps me stay on top of the tech you guys play with every day.

How about you?  What do you do?  Is it where you thought you would be?  If not, what can we do to help you get back on track?

Views: 1439

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By day; I'm an engineering technitian in an R&D shop (ag and turf machinery) in the real world I Iike to do restoration work. Mostly automotive, but have restored fixtures in historical buildings, bicycles, toys, and furniture.

May i ask, does anybody here work for a publisher in the UK or US that would be interrested in publishing a sci-fi book about 3 teenagers, a yati and an alien fighting bad guys and supernaturl creatures? Norway does not have a large enough population to provide a viable market for sci-fi, so I´m looking elsewhere.

Kind regards

-ola

Check out the Writers' Group discussions.  For one there's some great advice on getting published or self-publishing, the latter of which is easier than ever.

J. Fjeld Jr. said:

May i ask, does anybody here work for a publisher in the UK or US that would be interrested in publishing a sci-fi book about 3 teenagers, a yati and an alien fighting bad guys and supernaturl creatures? Norway does not have a large enough population to provide a viable market for sci-fi, so I´m looking elsewhere.

Kind regards

-ola

Automotive repair and restoration for the last 37 years.No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't leave this choice of employment due to the love that I have for it. My Father was so disappointed. I've had the opportunity to work on some of the most significant vehicles ever produced, and for that I am honored and thankful. I'm presently winding my career down. I have owned my own shop for the last 25 years and this trade has taken a major toll on my health. So now I am considering retirement. (Meaning staying at home in the garage and building cars for myself) Something that I have always dreamed of doing. As far as interests, my view is wide, with machines and engine powered devices being my first love. Firearms, Music, etc. I used to pay very close attention to fine wines, and single malts but the medical authorities have recommended that I pursue that no longer. (so I backed off a little)  Cheers!

I have BA degrees in Art and in Anthropology. Currently, I'm in grad school, studying Archaeology. I have a particular fondness for urban archaeology, but I do most of that on my own time.

I'm a former substitute teacher with a BA in English, Creative Writing, now back in school to become certified as a special education teacher for moderate to severe disabilities in California.

On top of that, I'm a science fiction writer and poet, a photographer and a professional wrestling promoter.

But I am a full time husband and father. My son is an autistic savant who plays the piano like it's nobody's business. He has played at minor league baseball stadiums, recitals, local events and has even gotten to meet his heroes, The Beach Boys. Next up, I want him to learn some of the best jazz tunes out there. Maybe study some Nat King Cole Trio?

I started out in analogue electronics, moved to manufacturing engineering, then radio design. These days I'm a freelance journalist which means I get to write about a wide range of high-tech and not so high-tech engineering projects. I also write about boats and boating. I've been involved in yacht racing for most of my life. Now, I teach part-time at a sailing academy in Wellington. I came to diesel punk after writing a book about climate-neutral alternatives to fossil liquid fuels, which opened my mind to how future generations will make crude oil for gasoline, jet fuel, and diesel. I figured: "The world economy runs on diesel and kerosene. There's nothing better. What the hey! I like diesel-era cars, architecture, and fashion."

I am an author of fiction and non-fiction and I also write, produce and direct films and teach English and creative writing at the elementary through university levels.

I teach indigenous African martial arts and I am also a priest in an indigenous African religion.

I am married and have eight children, ranging in age from 25 - 3. I have one son and seven daughters.

Fascinating bio Balogun.

Thanks, Larry!

i am a full time US Marine(1st btn 7th marines), im gonna get out in 2 or 3  years to go to college and get a degree in photography.

Photography is a hard gig to make a living on, especially since every douche with a camera-phone and Instagram thinks they're Ansel Adams.  What got you interested?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service