Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Topic for clarification:

Dieselpunk is a sub-genre of the pop surrealist art movement which combines the aesthetics of the interbellum period through World War II (1918 - 1946) with postmodern technology and sensibilities.

Agree?  Disagree?

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tome,

Tracing a wiki-walk through your links (great stuff!) I wonder if DP is almost as much Remodernist as Pop Surreal. I agree on the "Postmodern techn. and sensibilities". In fact, I keep seeing the various retro-futurist/hyphen-punk movements as in some ways incorporating (paradoxically) both Postmodern and Remodern sensibilities, sort of along the lines of that Dada-Futurism reconciliation line I was pondering in the manifesto post.

On the timeline I'd keep it as a more vague "Interbellum into the early atomic age" rather than set dates. Arbitrary dates always seem so, well ,arbitrary. Eras, IMHO, tend to blend into each other. I'd go as far as to place some 60's things as skirting DP(Rat Pack, etc.).

V/R,

Cap'n...
Well that was my thought, too. At least in America, I don't think anything at all changed, attitude-wise, with the dropping of the A-Bomb. There wasn't a real paradigm shift in the American psyche until the mid 50s to the early 60s.

Cap'n Tony said:
Tome,

Tracing a wiki-walk through your links (great stuff!) I wonder if DP is almost as much Remodernist as Pop Surreal. I agree on the "Postmodern techn. and sensibilities". In fact, I keep seeing the various retro-futurist/hyphen-punk movements as in some ways incorporating (paradoxically) both Postmodern and Remodern sensibilities, sort of along the lines of that Dada-Futurism reconciliation line I was pondering in the manifesto post.

On the timeline I'd keep it as a more vague "Interbellum into the early atomic age" rather than set dates. Arbitrary dates always seem so, well ,arbitrary. Eras, IMHO, tend to blend into each other. I'd go as far as to place some 60's things as skirting DP(Rat Pack, etc.).

V/R,

Cap'n...
My definition of dieselpunk would be stories set in the diesel era based on extrapolations of that era´s technological advances and scientific theories.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service