Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

OK, so after finishing my novella (published in Authors and storytellers, BTW), I decided to get back to my original dieselpunk military novel, and one thing that I wanted to do is do a bit of world building with the outfits and uniforms that people in my military would be wearing.

The first thing I'd like to ask is a few favors. I've searched for the type of flight gear/outfits that pilots had in the tropics, but I mostly came up with the winter variants. Also I'm wondering if gunners and enlisted men had different flight outfits to pilots and officers. Some pics and info would be greatly appreciated.

That being said, I'm actually curious as to what to do to change RL flight outfits to make them more dieselpunk. I'm all for putting gadgets and doodads on stuffs, but I also want things to be practical and be there for a reason. I remember seeing some steampunk cosplayers, and while what they wear is really cool, sometimes I wonder if a lot of the things they have on serve any practical purpose.

So any advice?

Thanks.

Views: 1912

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bristol Type 138 high altitude aircraft with pressure suited airman

Attachments:

My wife has a pair of these revolvers and can easily clear and reload in the time that a 1911 can.  Many early automatics that used magazines did not come with spares.  Some weapons even chained the removable magazines to the gun so that it would not get lost.  American shooting leathers were much more advanced than the rest of the world and they were made for revolvers.

I saw an old page from a 1908 sears gun catalog that reminded me of this. It seems that while you did get only one magazine when you bought a semi-auto, it turns out that you could order spare ones rather easily. I attached the page I'm talking about below. It shows the Colt 1903 pocket hammerless and a 'Colt automatic magazine, 38-caliber' which looks like a Colt 1900 or 1902. In both ads they had a line showing the price of an extra magazine if you wished to order it.

Attachments:

I even have a hard copy of this catalog and never noticed that they sold spare magazines for some of these pistols until you pointed it out.  I was more focused on the fancy grip options. 

Something to take into consideration for a Zoot Shoot I suppose. 

Apparently speed loaders for revolvers are quite a bit newer.

The crazy thing about speedloaders is just how long it took for them to catch on. The very first speedloaders was patented in 1879 for top break revolvers but were never manufactured. They even made them for the Webley revolver in the 1890s and advertised them for a long time to the army (although they were available to civilians, a world record pistol shooting speed was set with a Webley autorevolver and speedloaders). I don't consider half moon or full moon clips as speedloaders since the guns they were for can't be loaded otherwise.

One of the things in my dieselpunk setting that I decided should happen is that A: double stack magazines for semis are more common (they existed for the savage 1907. 10 rounds for a tiny gun like that was impressive. Also the Browning Hi Power was originally supposed to have 16 rounds) and B: speedloaders are common from the get go. Like I said, why it took so long for them to become common is Isa mystery to me.

For more about revolver speedloaders, here's a link

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/30/revolver-speedloaders/

Do you have more on this 1879 speed loader?

That is what I have been looking for since my wife's breaktop revolvers were probably made in 1881 & 1884.  Any new gadgets tend to get her shooting a little more.  

Well, other than the information provided in the link, I have no idea. All I know is that while this speedloader was indeed patented, it is unknown if it was even produced... and this is very strange since gun manufacturers like Webley and Scott and S&W would have capitalized on it. S&W were producing a lot of top-break revolvers at the time and the existence of a speedloader like that would have given their guns a tremendous advantage over loading gate type revolvers of the era.

The earliest speedloader that I know of that was actually produced in any numbers as in 1893 for the Webley revolver. Here's the link to the patent.

http://www.google.com/patents/US516942

Again, are there any survivors from that era? Not likely, but it's an interesting historical tidbit.

We must have been posting at the same time. 

The twist system is fairly clever and with a good drill press I could almost make them. 

http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2173211278?profile=original

For the 1879 speedloaders, here is the link to the patent.

http://www.google.com/patents/US223100

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service