Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

What are some thoughts on how this might look, aside from 40s sundresses?

I normally wear wool skirts and pencil skirts, pearls, the like... I get away with it because it's winter and because to anyone else's eyes, I just look like I'm going to work. It's how I'm most comfortable and feel I'm most expressing myself. I own exactly one pair of jeans. I don't really like wearing pants, but sometimes it's a necessary evil, and if I have to, I prefer cargos to jeans.

I should broaden my wardrobe a bit. Anyone have any ideas?

Views: 356

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

30's and 20's style cotton floral dressses? sort of that drop waist tea dress shape. a line fluttery printed skirts and little blouses. a sporty costume of capri pants and a tennis sweater?

Two words: Flapper dress.

I met a girl through a friend who dresses however the hell it fancies her to, each day. One day, she wore a red flapper dress with tall Doc Marten's.

They're short and light enough for summer.

FUR! And scarves! And long silk gloves. And and and and....

that haircut! (The one in your avatar). :3

Fur, in the summertime?

R. Austurias said:

Muwhahahah! >:D

Deven Science said:
Fur, in the summertime?

R. Austurias said:

Unfortunately, many of those styles don't work very well for me - I'm short with more of a 40s/50s build than a 20s one. I can get away with certain flapper looks, but not others. I'm just wondering what my options are other than the first ones that came to mind.

Deven Science said:

I met a girl through a friend who dresses however the hell it fancies her to, each day. One day, she wore a red flapper dress with tall Doc Marten's.

Hmm, have you tried Poodle skirts? They would be lighter and shorter for the summer, also. a very light sweater or blouse, and some saddle or Mary Jane shoes to complete. Or is that too much 50's for you?

Dreia M said:
Unfortunately, many of those styles don't work very well for me - I'm short with more of a 40s/50s build than a 20s one. I can get away with certain flapper looks, but not others. I'm just wondering what my options are other than the first ones that came to mind.

Deven Science said:

I don't know about the poodle style, but I rock the Mad Men look from time to time. ;) This is giving me ideas. Maybe the same basic lines I already wear, but in lighter fabrics.

Deven Science said:
Hmm, have you tried Poodle skirts? They would be lighter and shorter for the summer, also. a very light sweater or blouse, and some saddle or Mary Jane shoes to complete. Or is that too much 50's for you?

Dreia M said:

Deven Science said:

My wife finds a lot of good ideas at http://www.stopstaringclothing.com/

Most of their dresses aren't realistic for people with human budgets, but it's good to get ideas if you're handy with a sewing machine.

Dreia M said:

I don't know about the poodle style, but I rock the Mad Men look from time to time. ;) This is giving me ideas. Maybe the same basic lines I already wear, but in lighter fabrics.

Deven Science said:

Dreia M said:

Deven Science said:

Dreia, You mentioned about pants. The great Katharine Hepburn was well known for preferring pants over dresses. Here's a site that repeats a story I heard about her once:

"I wear my sort of clothes to save me the trouble of deciding which clothes to wear."

Born in Connecticut May 1907, Katharine was born the daughter of a Doctor and a Suffragette. It may have been her mothers influence which led her to say "Stockings are an invention of the Devil". She defined her own masculine style of dress and claimed never to have owned a dress or skirt of her own.

Apparently, she walked around the studio in her underwear in the early 1930s when the costume department stole her slacks from her dressing room. She refused to put anything else on until they were returned.

She helped pave the way towards creating well-fitting menswear for women. A true trend setter rather than a follower of fashion.

http://www.jannesvintage.com/acatalog/fashion-icons.html

Here's a crazy idea on the totally Retro-futurism Ottensian side: stylized togas! Roman or Egyptian influenced clothing with more Deco lines were THE prefered outfit in the Atlantean Crystal Spires of the Future.

Check out the outfits in Wells' The Shape of Things to Come. Okay, maybe not THIS retro-avant-garde, but certainly some Classical spin on a more conventional outfit might allow something loose, billowy, and chic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service