Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

After a little bit of searching on the internet, I was not able to find a convention that was dedicated to only dieselpunk. Is the community not big enough for a convention yet (I saw steampunk conventions that had some dieslpunk stuff)? If there were a dieselpunk convention, what types of booths / events would you want at it?

(((sorry if this is not the correct forum - i couldn't think of a better place to put this)))

Views: 815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A good observation and some good questions. Are there any dieselpunk conventions? Not that I know of. Is there a big enough community? I think there the problem isn't the community but the lack of knowledge of dieselpunks existence. And a great "what if" question on how it would work, with booths and such.

I imagine booths dedicated to artists for one. Dieselpunk graphic arts are such a big part it seems. Some dedicated to book sellers of both factual and fiction. Certainly vintage clothing retailers. Also, music needs to be a big part of it with dieselpunk music concerts. Maybe a theater running classic diesel era films and another showing dieselpunk, such as Sky Captain, The Shadow, Hellboy, etc... Don't forget a Cosplay like situation where people could show off their outfits. I would also want to see panels. How to draw, how to get published, how to create dieselpunk outfits, etc.

Those are some ideas.
Those are great ideas - more than what I was able to think of. What about a car / bike show? Some local owners could bring a 3 or 4 period cars / dieselpunk cars or bikes.

Like with anime (and similar) conventions, people could show up in their cosplays and those who wished to would participate in cosplay contests.
Great idea about the cars. Could have a local classic car club bring their vintage cars for everyone to see.

Lawren Harris-Barnett said:
Those are great ideas - more than what I was able to think of. What about a car / bike show? Some local owners could bring a 3 or 4 period cars / dieselpunk cars or bikes.

Like with anime (and similar) conventions, people could show up in their cosplays and those who wished to would participate in cosplay contests.
Having dieselpunk conventions could expand the dieselpunk community to people offline.
I'm in talks with The Steampunk's World Fair to include an entire track devoted to Dieselpunk in their 2011 event.

As more details come to light, I'll certainly let everyone know.

I was asked the same thing... I'll tell ya the truth if there was one I'd be there!

Some day I will start one in seattle. 

Great idea, Lawren! Seattle is going to host the Noir City 2012 film event at the end of this month. Could be a good place to find possible members for at least a group like my North Texas Dieselpunks.

I might have to go to that. I was wanting to start with creating a Steam, Diesel and Atomic punk club at my college.

Now and then I brows through the members and I see a lot of people who are from Washington. I am not sure how many of them lurk or post though.

I am currently not in a position to create a convention. I am an unemployed college student with no car. Once I get my BA, I want to move into Seattle or Bellevue (where Microsoft and, I think, Valve are HQ'd). Then I would be in a better position to work on starting a dieselpunk convention.

Good idea to make contact with people in your area.

Lawren H.B. said:

I might have to go to that. I was wanting to start with creating a Steam, Diesel and Atomic punk club at my college.

Now and then I brows through the members and I see a lot of people who are from Washington. I am not sure how many of them lurk or post though.

I am currently not in a position to create a convention. I am an unemployed college student with no car. Once I get my BA, I want to move into Seattle or Bellevue (where Microsoft and, I think, Valve are HQ'd). Then I would be in a better position to work on starting a dieselpunk convention.

We deserve our own convention. We'll just have to scale it down. Our blend of kooky is distinct from the steamers; twentieth century a little closer to home.

Sorry to be the voice of opposition, but what I am hearing, in this four year old thread, is the desire for Dieselpunk to become more popular. My warning is, “Be careful what you wish for”.

Currently I am happy that when I talk to fellow Dieselpunk enthusiasts they are people who really love the genre. They are familiar with the history, they have read the pulps, watched the old movies, seen the art deco design, enjoyed the music and have a true appreciation for real Dieselpunk culture. I don’t want to lose that.

In the late 1980s I was really into Victorian Scientific Romance or 1800’s Alternate History. These terms where the forerunners of what is known today as “Steampunk”. This small yet creative group really loved the genre. They were familiar with the history, they had read the penny dreadfuls, they loved; Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Albert Robida, George Griffith, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, etc. They studied the politics and military and created ideas about how science could have advanced at even a greater speed.

Then popularity slowly infected the genre. I attended the conventions and read the blogs and endured the debasement that comes with popularity. My last Steampunk convention was in 2014 and after sitting through a panel discussion that was supposedly about Steampunk historic time lines I was able to pole the audience to see how many of the supporters and participants had ever read the classic Steampunk works. I was disappointed by the results and the seeming consensus that Steampunk was more about wearing goggles, decorating with gears and having a fantasy inspired outfit to show off .

Perhaps I am a nitpicking purist, or just a bitter curmudgeon, but I do not want to see Dieselpunk reduced to a bunch of posers that think wearing a fedora is a substitute for exploring, learning and recreating an alternate past with real Dieselpunk style.

I would like to see a Dieselpunk convention but more like the Pulp Writers Conventions, where there is no chance for popularity because the prerequisite is actually reading something. BTW the Pulp conventions are filled with all sorts of Dieselpunk enthusiasts and content. Perhaps you should start there instead of partnering with the Steampunk crowd.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service