Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

How does Dieselpunk affect your life?  By which I mean...

 

Is it a Lifestyle? Does it influence all - or almost all - aspects of your life.... dress, speech, car you drive, home decor, the works...

 

An Art form? Whether musical or visual arts, etc... In short, is it just a form of creative expression you enjoy...

 

Or a hobby? Is it just a nice place to retreat to when you want to get away from the rat race for a while on the weekend...

 

A mix of the above?

 

Or something else entirely???

 

 

 

 

 

....For my part it's a cross between Art form and hobby... but considering I'm starting on a rather major project of building and Art Deco Motorcycle (for want of a better description) from scratch it could concievably be considered by outsiders a lifestyle even if I don't see it that way myself LOL! :D

 

What about others?

 

 

 

 

Views: 191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Although I see most aspects of life through a diesel-tinted lens, I think Dieselpunk for me is more of a hobby, practised predominantly in the weekends.
For me it's definitely a lifestyle. Dieselpunk plays a role in all aspects of my life. What I read, music I listen to, movies I watch, my everyday dress, and even my political views have diesel era ties.
well were as i am new i haven't done much yet but i'm working to make it part of my every day life style, from the way i dress to the way i act. though i think the learning curve will be the slang from the 30's to 50's differs allot so it might take time to come up with something different yet similar lol.
Not a hobby, but a way to see the world. Everyday influences are subtle - I've got a quartz watch styled after the 40s fashion, my digital camera bears a resemblance to some good old rangefinder, I wear a black suit where everybody's wearing jeans and sweaters, most of the books I read were published in the Interbellum or have a strong connection to the Diesel Era, etc., etc.

For me, its more of a hobby. I will write dieselpunk fiction and sometimes dress the part for an airsoft game / I have kept a functional loadout for dieselpunk.

For me it has actually been a mix, but is rapidly moving toward a life style! I started with just a passing interest, occasionally drawing it ect., and now more and more I find myself looking for suits and fedoras to purchase, designing my own airplanes from toys, of which 20 now litter my room, and even trying to paint and decorate my room in a 40's style! so to me it definitely is rapidly moving from a hobby into an art form/lifestyle mode!

I progressed it just like you, Jacob. Now look at me. Big time addict.

 

"Hi, I'm Larry. And I'm a Dieselpunk."

(Everyone replies) "Hi Larry!" :)

To me as for long as I live looking into the past to have a better future will always be a good decision!:)

Larry said:

I progressed it just like you, Jacob. Now look at me. Big time addict.

 

"Hi, I'm Larry. And I'm a Dieselpunk."

(Everyone replies) "Hi Larry!" :)

Hm, I think I'm more of a hobby/art sort of person, mostly because I don't have neither the technical skills nor the financial means to make that sort of thing for myself. But I like to read it, watch it, study it and - especially - write it.

I admit the financial aspect can be a little daunting.

 

I have 5 fedora's of different styles and colors. Four cost between 50 - 60 dollars a hat. One fedora cost me $160 but she was worth it. Other expensive items are my two suits, which tended to be about $300 a piece. Add to that the many vests, which I wear often, along with pocket watches (I love pocket watches) it starts to add up. Don't forget lots of ties, shirts, and slacks.

 

Then comes the music and entertainment. I'm constantly building my CD as well as DVD collection. Plus, when bands come to town, such as the recent Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, it costs money. And I'm going to see Cabaret in April, which means more money.

 

To paraphrase a t-shirt I saw at an Anime convention, "Dieselpunk... Crack would be cheaper."


Addley C. Fannin said:

Hm, I think I'm more of a hobby/art sort of person, mostly because I don't have neither the technical skills nor the financial means to make that sort of thing for myself. But I like to read it, watch it, study it and - especially - write it.
I know what you mean Larry! I have been looking at slacks and shirts with nice vest combos on Amazon and have finally reached that special line of thought where it is totally worth it!

Larry said:

I admit the financial aspect can be a little daunting.

 

I have 5 fedora's of different styles and colors. Four cost between 50 - 60 dollars a hat. One fedora cost me $160 but she was worth it. Other expensive items are my two suits, which tended to be about $300 a piece. Add to that the many vests, which I wear often, along with pocket watches (I love pocket watches) it starts to add up. Don't forget lots of ties, shirts, and slacks.

 

Then comes the music and entertainment. I'm constantly building my CD as well as DVD collection. Plus, when bands come to town, such as the recent Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, it costs money. And I'm going to see Cabaret in April, which means more money.

 

To paraphrase a t-shirt I saw at an Anime convention, "Dieselpunk... Crack would be cheaper."


Addley C. Fannin said:

Hm, I think I'm more of a hobby/art sort of person, mostly because I don't have neither the technical skills nor the financial means to make that sort of thing for myself. But I like to read it, watch it, study it and - especially - write it.
Told ya'. This Forum is a Gateway Drug to harder and harder stuff. :)

Jacob Savage said:
I know what you mean Larry! I have been looking at slacks and shirts with nice vest combos on Amazon and have finally reached that special line of thought where it is totally worth it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service