Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

How does Dieselpunk affect your life?  By which I mean...

Is it a Lifestyle? Does it influence all - or almost all - aspects of your life.... dress, speech, car you drive, home decor, the works...

An Art form? Whether musical or visual arts, etc... In short, is it just a form of creative expression you enjoy...

Or a hobby? Is it just a nice place to retreat to when you want to get away from the rat race for a while on the weekend...

A mix of the above?

Or something else entirely???

....For my part it's a cross between Art form and hobby... but considering I'm starting on a rather major project of building and Art Deco Motorcycle (for want of a better description) from scratch it could concievably be considered by outsiders a lifestyle even if I don't see it that way myself LOL! :D

What about others?

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For me, it is a hobby that is slowly creeping it's way into every aspect of my life!

Music, films, fashion! I can't get enough!

I try to incorporate 1930's style into my life as much as I practically can. I work in Police Dispatch, and although I am in a civilian role there is still not much leeway in regards to clothing as I have to wear my standard issue uniform, but I always style my hair and make-up in a vintage manner and wear vintage or reprovintage accessories. I'm also incredibly lucky to have a brilliant grandfather-in-law who re-builds vintage cars - so now, thanks to him, I can even cruise around in style!

One of the things I love most about the Dieselpunk era is the courtesy and respect with which people dealt with each other. I love to read vintage etiquette and housekeeping books and try to live those values as much as possible. While I can't speak for other countries, I feel that here in Australia our way of life is drifting further away from the values of the past and more towards a discourteous 'me' culture, which I don't feel comfortable with, so perhaps I stand out a bit in the way that I speak and the (to me) 'respectful' or (to others) 'modest' way I like to conduct myself in attitude and dress. I rarely curse or drink, much to my co-workers' bemusement!

One of the benefits of being a lady Dieselpunk is that, if you are handy with the Singer, it can actually be quite cheap to dress the part. While occasionally, after much saving and guilt, I will treat myself to a vintage dress or skirt, I mostly buy vintage patterns on Ebay and Etsy and then I make as many dresses as I care to purchase fabric for. I can generally make a 1930's day dress and a matching apron for under $AU50, but I can imagine that for the Gents having to purchase suits, it can get quite pricey. Luckily for me, I am a dress-only girl - I don't think I even own a single pair of pants!

Now hats! That's were all my money goes....

For me it's a touch of lifestyle - one special outfit for very special occasions (or just for the right mood), swing music playing in my car, film noir for a sleepless night, books on my shelf and an obligatory coffee-table album in the living room, Deco or classic photography or fashion, terribly heavy but soooo enlightening  ;)
I also think it is a lifestyle, but I can only live this lifestyle in my free-time, though it's also a kind of hobby. But most of the people live their lifestyle outside the job :)
I'm lucky since I have a white collar office job so I can live my lifestyle anytime I want. Ottensian Dieselpunk with the fedora's and ties and such fit perfectly in an office. Hell, I dress better than my own management. :)
For me, it's a lifestyle. I enjoy mixing swing and military styles, and I've always felt most comfortable in a fedora and suit.

I will jump in here and catch up on my thread responses. Dieselpunk is one of the many decorating aesthetics that appeal to me. I drifted here because unfortunately, I'm one to dive headfirst into a fandom and miss the pool (which I sort of did with Steampunk--I enjoy it but can't wrap my mind around it quite as much as I'd like). Steampunk doesn't have as much humor in it as Diesel. The era of the screwball comedy is right up my alley. Not to mention the deco aesthetic that resonates with another time period of the soul--ancient Egypt.

I think the diesel era was an exciting time of possibility. In addition to decor that finally expressed the maturation of the industrial age, the diesel era was when we were able to open our minds and envision a future without as many of the chains of tradition as in previous eras. People became more mobile, more connected, more exposed to different cultures and ways of thought--that echoed in the literature of the day. In fact, it's this era's science fiction that drove so much of our innovation in the last 80-odd years. It's where we discovered the ability to imagine Outer Space and plant the seeds for wondering how to get there.

Also, being a bit of a political junkie, I can't help but draw parallels between the political and economic landscape of the diesel day and the present. Great differences and great similarities. Hardships, and the overcoming of them.

So I guess Dieselpunk is a world I visit mostly with my writer's imagination. I can't always dress the part (I'm a stay at home mom who has little reason to get out of her pj's much less into a dress with pearls), but I've got some nice elements in my house, a "can-do" attitude in the garage/workshop, and an entire rehash of WWI Europe (with rogue mecha) living in my head.

It is an art form for me. Started with literature and fillm, but is working into music. The whole concept is a spark to my imagination, and the "what if" of alternate history is a bottomless well. I did attend a steampunk conference recently though. and that was a blast. I could see where dieselpunk could become a community.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service