Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

When I heard Squirrel Nut Zippers today on NPR it got me thinking. I was wondering if it was possible to put together a list of dieselpunk music.

First, how to define it would seem to be a challenge. While it's tempting to include the actual bands of the 20's through 40's (Gotta love Count Basie, Glenn Miller and such) it seems to me that we might want to limit ourselves to contemporary bands.

Second, if we're going to limit ourselves to contemporary bands then what style of music is the next question. It's my opinion, for what it's worth, that possibly we should limit it to bands and entertainers who's style pays tribute to the era while not necessarily playing the same songs.

Finally, trappings and style I would assume should have a feel for that era though again not necessarily the same. So we could allow those who dress in pseudo-twenties or thirties.

So here's some bands that come to mind:
Squirrel Nut Zipper (as previously mentioned)
Henry Connick, Jr.
Great American Swing Band
Michael Bublé
Brian Setzer Orchestra

I would love to hear what others think.
~ Larry

Views: 1461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Devil Doll is a new love of mine. She sounds like she belongs in a slinky dress, sprawled on top of a piano in a smokey bar.

</iframe>

WOW, I been doing the retro swing thing for over a decade, but I just saw this post. I agree with everything that has been posted. I would add a few though:

Manhattan Transfer - Swing and Spirit of St. Louis

Anything by John Pizzarelli

Anything by Michael Buble'

And Larry turned me onto Wolfgang Parker and Ego Wrappin'! Both solid bands.

I am going to be producing a Special Summer Song Mix of cool Dieselpunk style tunes as an Episode of the Diesel Powered Podcast in the next few weeks!  

John Barrowman of Torchwood and Doctor Who, singing "Anything Goes" by Cole Porter. He has a whole CD of Cole Porter songs called John Barrowman Swings Cole Porter.

For some reason a few Dubstep tracks give me that Dieselpunk feel, it's rather strange. Maybe it's because I associate the Dieselpunk aestethic with enormous factories and a highly industrialised society, but coupled with the music of e.g. Wolfgang Parker and Devil Doll.

Sorry for the double post, but here's an example of what I mean.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service