Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

One of our forum members, Miss Lenore Arcangelo Mellotron, has started a new site called Dieselpunk Wiki. Not much to it yet but it has a nice layout and design. Here's wishing her the best of luck on her new site.

Views: 411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I advertised it here when she opened it in late September. I guess my marketing wasn't very effective.

http://www.dieselpunks.org/forum/topics/dieselpunk-wikia-join-the-f...

I see now that you did, Leviathan. Interesting that there's not much been added to the site in the way of information. Maybe Miss Mellotron has abandoned the project, which I think would be a shame because I believe the bigger the presence of Dieselpunk on the web the better.

Larry, I can't agree with you enough!  I'll see if I can help out a bit, and perhaps other join in, that'll be part of the impetuous to entice a few more additions?  I'd say once the word is spread a bit more, it'll help the site grow.

I find the subject of increasing the size of Dieselpunk on the web important. If one Googles "steampunk"  a person will find numerous blogs and forums, which makes an impression on the person doing the search and is trying to learn more about the genre. Also, it get's the attention of the media, which uses the web heavily in search of trends and to get a feel of what is hot in the culture today.

So the bigger the presence on the web the better it is for the genre. Otherwise it looks like just a little click of a few individuals, which is a criticism that's been laid on us by some who believe that Dieselpunk isn't a true genre.

That's a good point, and make a few comments, if I may…

First, as some here know, I'm the author behind the Steampunk Tribune, which was started back in 2007. At that time, I'd say that Steampunk was in a similar situation - not many people knew what Steampunk was or what it was about. Aside from my small blog, there was only continuing endeavors regarding Steampunk on the internet were the Steampunk Home and Brass Goggles (in mid-2007). However, as time grew, and the awareness that Steampunk was a "thing" (genre), its popularity has grown to it current level. I'm not saying that Dieselpunk will run the same way, but I concur that its first step is to grow its base, and its presence on the internet, at least for starters.

On that note, I'm bringing back my old Jazz-Dieselpunk blog, SL Jazz After Midnight. I let it go fallow for almost a year or so, but after checking Google Analytics, I was surprised to see it maintained a steady and respectable number of hits (with the most frequented entries being Dieselpunk artwork). Based on that, I'd postulate that there is interest in Dieselpunk as a genre, but to the "general public", the term Dieselpunk is still a bit nebulous. I'd guess that when many see what we call Dieselpunk, they still think "Pulp", "Noir", or just "Jazz Age". With more DP blogs, and what one could call "Touchstone" locations online, like Dieselpunk.org, Dieselpunk, the Dieselpunk Encyclopedia, and the Wiki, I'd say it'll be a good foundation for future growth and expansion of the genre.

To Rafael:

Being a frequent visitor of the SL Jazz blog, may I ask your permission to use some of featured artwork for one of the future Dieselpunk Encyclopedia galleries? With full credit, of course.

Rafael, I'm glad to hear about you reviving SL Jazz After Midnight. Great idea.

OK, each one of us is already responsible for a number of projects requiring time and skill - this network, your blog, my blog, your NT community, my AR community, and Dieselpunk Encyclopedia. I'm not selfish at all, but it's impossible for me to fill in the gaps left in the project started by someone else. If Miss Lenore asks me for any (already) written or graphic stuff I will be most happy to help. But to sign in her Wikia - no, thanks.

Our top priority is increased presence on the Web. We can start new projects, try new formats (as you have noticed, I opened a Google+ stream recently and reactivated my Flickr account last May) but first and foremost we have to maintain and update our existing blogs, websites, and communities.

One thing is probably even more important: without new authors and artists deliberately labeling their works as "Dieselpunk", we're doomed. It's hard to spot such creative people but we can't move forward without them.

Larry said:

I find the subject of increasing the size of Dieselpunk on the web important. If one Googles "steampunk"  a person will find numerous blogs and forums, which makes an impression on the person doing the search and is trying to learn more about the genre. Also, it get's the attention of the media, which uses the web heavily in search of trends and to get a feel of what is hot in the culture today.

So the bigger the presence on the web the better it is for the genre. Otherwise it looks like just a little click of a few individuals, which is a criticism that's been laid on us by some who believe that Dieselpunk isn't a true genre.

My plate's pretty full already as well, Lord K. Between my blog, my North Texas Dieselpunk group, given panels on Dieselpunk at conventions, writing articles for magazines, and other projects I wouldn't want to take on another project.

@Mr. Lord K - By all means!  I've been "enjoying" the experience of learning Photoshop, but if there is anything on the blog you'd like to use, you are more than welcome to it!

Thanks a lot, I'll inform you about further development.

Rafael Fabre said:

@Mr. Lord K - By all means!  I've been "enjoying" the experience of learning Photoshop, but if there is anything on the blog you'd like to use, you are more than welcome to it!

Does anyone know if the young lady who authored the Dieselpunk wiki (Colonel Lenore) is still active in maintaining it?  Its been a bit since she started it, so I was wondering if she is still active with administering it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service