Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Digital Diesel Speakeasy: The Great Dieselpunk Cocktail Project!

Do you like cocktails?  Do you like to mix cocktails?  Have you invented your own?  Share them here!

The goal is to create a list of Dieselpunk Cocktails.  In keeping with the stated mission of the Tenets to combine the zeitgeist of the Diesel Era with the values of today, the cocktails should be original, but reflect the spirit (pun intended) of the diesel era.  Ergo the drinks should have the types of flavor profiles typical of the period (think Martinis, Manhattans, Tom Collins...not "Appletinis", "Shooters", and other such High Fructose modern abominations).

Here's two, one mine, one the product of a great uncle:

Highland Honey Cocktail:

A Jack "Cap'n Tony*" Philpott original

• 2 oz Highland Scotch Whiskey (I recommend a light highland malt - I used Speyburn - or substitute Irish Whiskey)
  • 1 oz Dry Vermouth
  • 3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters (not Angostura!)

Mix all ingredients, stir over ice, strain into a coktail glass.  No garnish.

Bouquet: sweet and floral, honeylike

Appearance: clear and honey-brown

Taste: dry with a touch of sweet and a honeylike finish.

Tio Giorgio Cocktail:

As reinvented by John E. Philpott (my father) based upon a cocktail first created by my great uncle George M. Philpott, sr. 

• 1.5 oz Campari (substitue Aperol)
  • 1.5 oz Dry Vermouth
  • 1 tsp Absinthe (or Absinthe substitute - dad and Uncle George used Pernod)

Shake Campari and vermouth over ice and strain into a cocktail glass, float absinthe on the top by pouring gently over the back of a spoon, garnish with a lemon twist. 

Bouquet: herbal and liquorice-like, slightly sweet

Appearance: clear and ruby red with a slight cloudy top layer

Taste: light liquorice start, then dry to bitter

Uncle George insisted upon having this with a Parodi cigar...throughout the day starting right after breakfast.  Such hard living may have contributed to his early death at the young age of 92 years, so be warned.

* Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with nor identifying myself with Captain Tony's Saloon in Key West, Florida, or to Tony Tarracino who founded it.  This is just an internet handle named for a story character I created.

Tags: DIY, cocktails

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice!  I've got one I can share.

Cthulha:

A Lovecraft-inspired cocktail I came up with in time for Halloween

• 1 oz Absinthe
  • 7 oz Cream Soda
  • Splash of Kahlua
  • Drop of green food dye

Mix Absinthe, Cream Soda and Kahlua.  Drop in food dye and let it create tendrils, rather than stirring it in.

Bouquet: Licorice and coffee

Appearance: brown with green tendrils, settling into a spooky, murky green.  Best sipped from a wine glass (or, if a lovecraftian cultist, the skull of your enemy).

Taste: Strong licorice flavor, bitter and sweet.  I hear it is a good accompaniment to pipe smoke.

Very nice, Axle, I'll have to try that one.  The "tendrils" are a brilliant touch.

Another one, invented by me spur-of-the-moment this Thanksgiving when making Manhattans and realizing we had no sweet vermouth:

Spanish Harlem Cocktail (a "Spanish" Manhattan):

• 2 oz Bourbon or Rye
  • 1 oz dry Sherry
  • Dash of Bitters (Angostura or Orange)

Stir over ice, strain into a cocktail glass.  Garnish with a maraschino cherry or lemon twist.

This is a cocktail that we served at our wedding. It's not entirely original -- if you omitted the blue curaçao, you'd have yourself a French Gimlet. Either way, they're delicious and will delight even the most hopeless gin-haters.

Saltwater Gimlet:

• 2 oz Gin (any London Dry will do, but I really like Corsair)
  • 1 oz St. Germain elderflower liqueur
  • 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
  • Blue curaçao to taste

Stir all ingredients except the blue curaçao over ice, strain into a martini glass.  Add blue curaçao drop by drop, and garnish with a lime wheel.

Sounds lovely, thanks, Ava! I think the St. G and BC would do a lot to balance the sour lime, probably better than the traditional Gimlet's simple syrup.

I came up with this one because I can't abide the taste of liquor.

The "Hello, Nurse!"

One part Spiced Rum (I prefer Captain Morgan's Tattoo)

Three parts Dr. Pepper

Splash of lemon-lime soda

In a tumbler, pour the spiced rum. Add Dr. Pepper and splash of lemon-lime soda. Garnish with a cherry and drink until the world stops looking so "noir" and looks a little more Buck Rogers!

There's also the Silk Stocking cocktail, for the ladies.

Drinking chocolate powder

¾ measure tequila

¾ measure white crème de cacao

100 ml (3½ fl oz) single cream

2 teaspoons grenadine

4-5 ice cubes

Dampen the rim of a chilled cocktail glass and dip it into the drinking chocolate powder. Pour the tequila, white crème de cacao, cream and grenadine into a cocktail shaker and add the ice cubes. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds then strain into the chilled cocktail glass.

Can anyone think of how to make this without the tequila? I hate tequila, so if anyone can think of a good substitution, I'd be grateful, because otherwise, it sounds delicious.

Veeery iiiinteresting, Brenna!  The first makes a lot of sense to me...though it's sweeter than my tastes I think the three ingredients would blend well.  The second...I'm assuming you didn't invent that if you're talking about how much you hate Tequilla.  I'm trying to picture Grenadine with all the cacao and cocoa powder and not feeling it. I'd assume it'd clash, even with the Tequilla as an odd bridge.  Vodka would be an obvious substitute, though perhaps light rum might make a better bridge from cacao to grenadine. Still...needs something to bridge two radically different sweets. I really can't reconcile the grenadine with the cacao.  I'd sub amaretto or cherry liquer for the grenadine, personally.  How about this:

Stocking Garter:

Sweetened Cocoa Powder

3/4 oz Light Rum

3/4 oz Creme de Cacao

3 1/2 oz Light Cream or Half & Half

2 tsp Amaretto (alternate: Cherry Liquer)

Rim a Highball glass with cocoa powder.  Add ice. Pour all remaining ingridients into glass and stir well. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

The first one is sweet, but then, I have an insatiable sweet tooth and my Puerto Rican and pirate genes demand rum! The second one, I did not come up with myself. I stumbled upon it on Pinterest while fleshing out an inspiration board. But, with a name like "Silk Stocking"? It begs to be mentioned in a Noir story!

This sounds quite nice! I'll let you know how it comes out if I ever get a chance to taste it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Special Thanks

Diesel City
Patti Smith
VNV Nation - Ronan Harris

Comrades in Arms

Dieselpunk Industries
Radio Metronomik dieselpunk podcast
Constitutionens Voktere