Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I wear it for formal occasions only. Have a kind of dislike for ties since I was in high school where a tie was made obligatory about a year and a half before the graduation.

However I must admit some people look smart wearing a tie.

What about you?

Views: 328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I wear a tie very often.
I was thinking the same thing. I can name a few stores that have skinny ties and "Y" suspenders, even in just black. Maybe Markus isn't in America, but if you are Markus, go to Hot Topic. Those damn stores are made ONLY for slim people. 

Tome Wilson said:
@ - What country are you from?  The normal chain stores around me have Y suspenders and solid ties, even the skinny "mod" tie you're talking about.
I know, Larry. Seen your photographs.

Larry said:

I just ordered a special edition Coca Cola tie with matching tie pin, so I'll probably start wearing a tie soon enough..

As a student, I don't have much call for wearing a tie. Most internships don't require them, and I'm rarely invited anywhere that would require it. Even at an art opening (a few of which I've covered for the college paper) I can get away with a suit and an open collared shirt, which I find more comfortable. 

I didn't know you liked to dress up, Larry!

Larry said:

Not any more, since the tie is too reminiscent of bad jobs, and worse schools. I refuse to wear a necktie because it's, basically— a badge of servitude. I'm now done with having to take servitude-type jobs (finally), so I'm also done with the tie, for good and all. I won't even wear one to the symphony or the opera or to a funeral. I have a long-standing theory that the reason that there are so many bad "leaders" in this world is that their ties are choking off the flow of blood to their heads. My motto is, "Let your neck breathe free; it's always done the same for you!"

You bet!

Eric Langlois said:

I didn't know you liked to dress up, Larry!

Larry said:

I wear one most of the time, even at home, unless I'm wearing one of my Miskatonic University T-shirts.
All the time - never seen out of one when I'm out of the house - whether it's bow or neck-tie depends on how I'm feeling.

I wear a tie at work,and i like to wear one,as much as i can outside work.

I also have a few tie slides which i feel are just as important as wearing a tie. My fav is a cadillac tie slide 

Boy, can I relate. I had co-worker once ask me, "How many ties do you have?!" :)

Elvisrocks59 said:

I wear a tie at work,and i like to wear one,as much as i can outside work.

I also have a few tie slides which i feel are just as important as wearing a tie. My fav is a cadillac tie slide 

I had to ware one in grade school and high school (Catholic schools).  In college It was the last thing I wanted to ware, so I wore a cammo jacket, flannel shirts and jeans (this was in the early 80s, right when the "preppy" movement was in and with it Ronald Reagan).   As a community organizer working in the hood, this was my uniform sans the cammo jacket.   After 20 years or so, it was nice to get dressed up for a change, however, with little income it means being creative and thrifty.   There is a thrift store called Value World that serves most of my fashion needs.   My preferences are mid late 70s and 1930s and 40s style (No Mad Men narrow ties please!)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service