Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I just wanted to post on here to those friends and fellow Dieselpunkers I've met on this site that my Afghanistan tour is finally close to it's end. I'll be leaving the country in a few days, and while I'll have a couple of processing stops that'll take a few weeks, I'll be home in a short while. I'll have been gone for a full year.

I haven't seen my kids in that year. There's a lot I've missed. Still, having the mind that I do, I often compare my tours (one to Afghanistan, and one to Iraq), and think about how much better even this crappy living is compared to those that served during the Great War, or the second big one that followed it. I love the bygone era that dieselpunk encompasses. As I've noted many times on this site, I'm particularly partial to the Thirties and early Forties. Despite that love, for me, it's all about incorporating that mental and physical toughness into my life (along with the style, don't forget the style!), and using it in the here and now. I love that era, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I'm grateful to be living when I do, and I'll be grateful to enjoy the things that a modern super-power nation has to offer me. I'm allowed to revel in the creature comforts for a while, I think.

I'm glad I came. I'm glad for the experience. But it'll be good to be home.

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We'll be waiting for you back in the States, Deven.

Thank you for your years, your service, your will to see it through, and your determination to keep Lady Liberty smiling.

Good trip home. :)

I'm glad to hear you're coming home. Safe travels.

Thank you for your service.

I can't wait, you handsome devil! ;)
I'm in Mississippi for the next week, and then home! The wife and I will be going to the Maker Fair in San Francisco in May. They have a huge steam & dieselpunk showing at that fair, and I'll get to show off my costume. I need to finish my raygun rifle, though!

Welcome home!!

Again, I want to thank you for your service.

I wish you a safe way home.

Good to have you here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by