Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

... but it uses a lot of dieselpunk imagery to suggest that the emotion-free state of the future is in fact a fascist state. Oddly enough, it even uses propaganda airships coreographically traveling in the city's skies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqpfV9marA

The story is simply a revision of Fahrenheit 451, with some pistol kung-fu and a lot of inconsistencies thrown in. Nevertheless, the imagery, while not perfect and sometimes uninspired, is not bad.

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks interesting. I would agree that one couldn't call it Dieselpunk but it could be fun. Though it makes you wonder how they make the airship fly since we're about to run out of helium. :)
Equilibrium contains a lot of clever citations: the circular building is a replica of Speer's Olympic stadium in Berlin, "T"s on the rooftops are taken from Orwell's 1984, cityscape is reminiscent of Ferriss' drawings, etc. I love this movie, despite all its flaws.

I enjoyed that film, and it does have some nice visuals. I must admit I didn´t feel the action scenes gelled well the story, they felt like two different things.

Another movie with nice 1930s style visuals is Gattaca.

Gattaca is great. Seen it several times, and every time noticed more and more nice artifacts.

Atterton said:
Another movie with nice 1930s style visuals is Gattaca.
Equilibrium, yep I like it.  My Piecraftian side says maybe, but then again no.  I'm kinda on the fence about it.  Now if in it's history Japan had won WWII I would be more for it, but that is based on my readings of Japaneses philosophies.
If you divorce your mind and don't notice that it blatantly rips off virtually every dystopian novel that came before it, it's a fun film.
For a Japanese dystopic AH dieselpunk story look for Jin Roh - The Wolf Brigade. I should have commented this on the other topic, but I completely forgot, long time no watch it. Oh, and it's animation, before this 15 mins thing expires.

Post Apocalyptic Nietzsche said:
Equilibrium, yep I like it.  My Piecraftian side says maybe, but then again no.  I'm kinda on the fence about it.  Now if in it's history Japan had won WWII I would be more for it, but that is based on my readings of Japaneses philosophies.
Correct Jin Roh is a great film.
What's fun is the similarities between Equillibrium and Ultraviolet...

Jonny B. Goode said:
If you divorce your mind and don't notice that it blatantly rips off virtually every dystopian novel that came before it, it's a fun film.
Aside not vey expressive leading actors kicking butts 360o around and a stylish enviromnent, what else did you find?

Virgil Briggs (Samuel Crowe) said:
What's fun is the similarities between Equillibrium and Ultraviolet...

Jonny B. Goode said:
Considering Equilibrium and Ultraviolet was made by the same guy, I suppose it´s not that strange. Not that I have actually seen Ultraviolet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service