Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Fallout 3: The Only Dieselpunk In Its Fullest Sense

So i'm basing my approach by reading Otten's Two Flavours of Dieselpunk, which most of you know, as  "Ottensian" and "Piecraftian".

And most of you surely already know what Fallout 3 is all about. If not, you can check it out here. (For arguments sake i'm going to add atompunk as a "smaller part" of ottensian dieselpunk)

So bearing all that in mind, why would I ever claim that fallout 3 is the only creation to be dieselpunk in its fullest sense?

Because it includes both flavours of dieselpunk in its story.

If Fallout 3 had not included the amazing art deco buildings, the crazy diesel/atom inventions, etc and relied solely on the "big bada boom" war, it would still classify as dieselpunk, albeit a Piecraftian Dieselpunk along the lines of Mad Max/Waterworld.

If Fallout 3 had not included the "big bada boom" war and relied solely on the retro-futurist progress which is present throughout the game, it would still classify as dieselpunk, albeit an Ottensian Dieselpunk along the lines of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

But Fallout 3 adds both! And that is precisely why its the only creation which is completely and utterly dieselpunk

What do others think of this?

Views: 1963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don´t think that Piecraftian stuff counts as dieselpunk anyway.
Atterton said:
I don´t think that Piecraftian stuff counts as dieselpunk anyway.

Why and so what?
Considering you asked for people´s opinions, I don´t think "so what?" seems an appropiate response.

Mad Max and Waterworld is just post-apocalyptic stuff. That diesel plays a role is not important.
Atterton said:
Considering you asked for people´s opinions, I don´t think "so what?" seems an appropiate response.

Mad Max and Waterworld is just post-apocalyptic stuff. That diesel plays a role is not important.

Well no offense but you giving your opinion as if your stating a fact doesn't seem like an appropriate response either. You should try and explain them better so I can understand and maybe agree.

So would you kindly explain your view of dieselpunk and why mad max/waterworld don't play a role, and why you think your opinion might be more "reasonable" than mine and of others?
If I´m stating a fact, I don´t generally start with the words "I don´t think...". I thought that would be enough to show it was my opinion.

People in both steampunk and dieselpunk take the names much too literally. It all dates back to Jeter making a bad pun when coining the term. The two movies you mention feature diesel, and perhaps what people would call a punk attitude(which in itself seems to be a huge term), but neither are what defines dieselpunk. They just happen to be in the name. There are many post-apocalyptic movies and it is rather a genre in itself. However the appearance of diesel doesn´t seem to me to make it fit a new genre, anymore than the protagonist having a love interest makes it a romance.
What "defines dieselpunk" is obviously different things to different people. One of the main reasons for the Ottens/Piecraft debate.

Atterton said:
The two movies you mention feature diesel, and perhaps what people would call a punk attitude(which in itself seems to be a huge term), but neither are what defines dieselpunk.
I don't think you can say something is "completely and utterly" something, but yes. It does feature many aspects of Dieselpunk, both aesthetically and in regards to the themes and ideas present.

Great game, regardless.

But Atterton; for clarification and curiosity, what do you define as Dieselpunk and why?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service