Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I picked up this ladies 50s J.C. Higgins from a bike forum about 6 months ago, for a specific gender reassignment project that I wanted to do. I wanted to stretch the top of the bike, but leave the bottom as is, so that it could fit on your standard rack, and whathaveyou. I wanted to make this gender bend have a little more attitude. I wanted it to be mean looking, but still have the parts keep their patina. The mix of old and new... that could be called dieselpunk, no? Here is a picture of what it looked like when he sent it to me:

After cutting out the tubing that I will be replacing:

I completed the "maleinization" in one day, and I really like it. It looks mean, as I wanted.

I welded a plate in the frame, and put it back together, and then had some fun putting several years worth of collected stickers on both sides of the plate. It's an idea I've had for some time, and I decided to execute it with this build. It rides pretty good, just a few rubs and noises to track down.

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a pretty cool bike. It looks pretty good as is (except for the obvious wear on the seat), I suppose it could use a bit of customization, but I really can't think exactly what.

Deven,

I love what you did with this. At first, I was trying to figure out why you'd put the seat so far back but then i remembered how tall you are. I don't know if that figured into your design or not but I love the shape that it gives, almost a fin or a razor-back look to it. Also, I'm just partial to old green beaters with dirty white walls, as that's what I tool around on here in Portland! Great job, man! 

Yeah, my height is always a factor. I love vintage bikes, but I just can't fit them comfortably, so the seat position is a way to stretch it without actually lengthening the bike. I've done something similar before:

T. von Kramer said:

Deven,

I love what you did with this. At first, I was trying to figure out why you'd put the seat so far back but then i remembered how tall you are. I don't know if that figured into your design or not but I love the shape that it gives, almost a fin or a razor-back look to it. Also, I'm just partial to old green beaters with dirty white walls, as that's what I tool around on here in Portland! Great job, man! 

Wow, that's awesome, I love it. Did you do the leatherwork yourself, as well? For the past year, I've been occasionally thinking about installing some kind of central panel into my bike, with a door on one side that opens to expose a sort of tool rack. It's really on the back-burner, though, as I already have several small projects in the works. Also, I'm almost glad that you're so far south, or I'd be in trouble with my wife for trying to buy some of your bikes!

The leather was done by a guy that used to go by Skiptooth Leather. He made bicycles seats and other pieces of the highest quality (third generation leather worker). He disappeared from the bike scene, and someone recently found out that he's doing gun holsters, in which I guess there's more money to be made. I wish I could work in leather, but I'm only a metalworker.

T. von Kramer said:

Wow, that's awesome, I love it. Did you do the leatherwork yourself, as well? For the past year, I've been occasionally thinking about installing some kind of central panel into my bike, with a door on one side that opens to expose a sort of tool rack. It's really on the back-burner, though, as I already have several small projects in the works. Also, I'm almost glad that you're so far south, or I'd be in trouble with my wife for trying to buy some of your bikes!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service