Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Give me one example of what you consider to be dieselpunk

Topic for sharing:

List one example of what you consider to be dieselpunk. 

With your example, describe why you think it is dieselpunk.

This example can be real or conceptual, and can span any genre of art, craft, or entertainment.

--

For example, I believe the song A Tap Dancer's Dilemma by Diablo Swing Orchestra is dieselpunk.

It opens with a swing-beat drum solo that was used predominantly in the 1930's.  From there it progresses to the hook, which is performed on heavily distorted electric cellos.  Then it launches into an opening performed by a brass section, and accompanied by a jazz piano.

The lyrics are sung in a distorted "gospel barker" tone, and are accompanied by a female close harmony section (a style popularized by The Andrews Sisters during the '40s), the bridge is performed in a non-distorted, technical guitar style, normally heard in '30s jazz guitar, and the lyrics have a pseudo-gospel feeling to them (harkening back to the roots of jazz).

Together, all of these disparate styles are mixed together in a post-modern way with contemporary production techniques, and include modern instruments and playing styles. 

The end result is altogether modern in it's performance, but still includes elements and themes that were popular during the Interbellum, which is why I consider it to be dieselpunk.

Views: 8364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tome Wilson said:
Speed Racer?

Well, what a coincidence - a few shows of the original Speed Racer anime were broadcast here in Germany around that time, and yes, Speed Racer was following that line...

;-)

*sigh* Reminds me, in what boring times we live today.
Back then, we hoped for spacetravel and all that stuff.
Instead we got Lady Gaga.

W.A. Seaver said:
Dreddhead, that photo reminds me of the Autopia scene from my 1956 View-Master set of Disneyland's Tomorrowland. I love how even the little boats in this slide of the Phantom Boat Ride reflect the gigantic fins that were popular on automobiles at the time, and the assumption that of course everything would still have huge fins decades into the future.

Well, give me huge fins on automobiles over Bangles' "flame surfacing" anytime...

Larry said:
Holy crap! Does anyone know if this thing could actually fly if it was built?

Cap'n Tony said:
Bel Geddes' Airliner #4:

Specifically, any world where this thing would actually fly...

Very close:

http://jalopnik.com/5675754/the-soviet-vtol-ekranoplan-bomber-desig...
I have to get back on "Speed Racer", the 2008 movie.
Can this be considered Dieselpunk, despite the exaggerated use of candy-colors?
I love that movie. It had that spirit I miss today. Still makes me sad that it bombed at the box-office.
Speed Racer is really a product of the late 1960s aesthetic. Just look at their costumes and clothes.

Dreddhead said:
I have to get back on "Speed Racer", the 2008 movie.
Can this be considered Dieselpunk, despite the exaggerated use of candy-colors?
I love that movie. It had that spirit I miss today. Still makes me sad that it bombed at the box-office.

Tome Wilson said:
Speed Racer is really a product of the late 1960s aesthetic. Just look at their costumes and clothes.

Hmmm, dreaming of a dieselpunkish Speed Racer now...

And on the other hand, the contemporary Dornier X. I must prepare a proper post about this machine.

Dreddhead said:
Great find on the Ekranoplan, Dreddhead! Those Soviets had a mixed bag on sucess/failure, but in ground effect vehicles they are the undisputed masters. I want a Caspian Sea Monster for Christmas!

@ Lord K: good call: the Do-X was truely ahead of its time, being a Boeing B-314 sized flying boat in the era when Curtiss Jennys were state of the art.
A love of brass and machined parts and of radios that glow and need 5 minutes to warm up. And of course it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
The war in the air, by H.G.Welles.

At first, its premises seem rather steampunk, as it's all about airships. But instead of bringing modern warfare concepts to old technology, the author, in 1907, tries to imagine how those new flying machines will change the nature of warfare. Altough some of the hypoteses proved wrong (such as airships becoming the gunships of XX century and planes being inferior, short range machines) he understands the brutal, indiscriminate nature of the new air weapons way before Douhet's book or the war in Libia. He also predicts the importance of Asian nations in the future (obviously influenced by the Russian-Japanese war) and a "coneventional explosive holocaust" leading to a new feudal age, thus reaching the end of the Diesel era and reaching the Atom era, altough without atomic bombs.
I think the PS2 game Blood Rayne is very dieselpunk indeed. She is a half human half vampire (Dhampire) assassin recruited during WW2 by a shadowy occult organisation called the Brimstone Society. The levels vary and the game is pretty slow to start with. But things really pick up when she is sent to assassinate key personnel of a ficticious occultist Nazi faction in different parts of Europe.

Apparently this game was originally going to be a book.

Obviously influenced by games such as Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider and Blood Omen, here is a clip of what I consider one of its many supremely dieselpunk moments.

See if you agree.

As I’m still a little unsure as to whether this would count as unacceptable copy written material for this site I’ll simply give the you tube page here (This was a tough level by the way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue47OccHjwQ&feature=related

Obviously contains spoilers and some fantasy violence (But that's the bit we like isn't it)

Oh and please take no notice whatsoever of those appalling Blood Rayne movies!

Mad Max

Set in the future filled with modified machines of the past.

Great mix of fashion and non-style from Steam to Diesel and Atomic

Can't wait for Mad Max 4

http://www.filmofilia.com/mad-max-4-fury-road-set-photos-and-concep...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service