Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Hello friends!
I notice that a lot of us are interested in fiction, and many of us are interested in dipping pen in inkwell in some form. I'd like to gauge interest (gauge? see what I did there? :P ) in a regular or semi-regular site event involving short fiction challenges based around a theme or element in dieselpunk. One of the best ways I know as a writer to exercise your writing chops is to use them, and whether you're a longtime pro or just starting out, learning by doing is one of the easiest ways to advance your craft, whether you're just fooling around with fiction or seriously pursuing a career.

So riddle me this: Are you interested in rising to a short writing challenge? Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction? Once a month? Once a week? Would you read it? Would you love it? Should I serve pie?

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this site in existence or are you thinking of starting it up?
I meant for this site, LOL. Just something to get more of our members of the writingly-inclined into the swing of things.

R. Austurias said:
Is this site in existence or are you thinking of starting it up?
I like the idea. I'm not a fiction writer, but I'd love to chip in with some flash fiction if the muse hits me.

Let me know when you would like to start and I'll add a note on the homepage. Maybe we should add them to the calendar, one a month, so people know when each deadline is?
One a month is a great idea. If they are popular, I can increase the challenges. My idea is to center each challenge around a single theme or element in dieselpunk and welcome flash fiction and short nonfiction. Of course, to do that, I need to collect (from YOU GUYS!) a handful of themes and elements to start things out. Pony up your ideas, gang!

--athena
I like that idea. I would certainly enjoy reading people's work.
Larry said:

Glad you like the idea, Larry. Now ante up and toss out an idea or concept that, to you, is a key element of dieselpunk. Doesn't have to be big, and it doesn't have to encompass all of dieselpunk, nor does it have to be exclusive to dieselpunk.

Because if nobody turns in any ideas, then it's going to be all me. The first time out I'd pick Zeppelins, but after that, it's gonna be girdles unless you all come up with something better. And less "unmentionable." :P

--athena
I'll see if I can come up with a short story. I just finished the first draft of one that's a little under 15,000 words, which is a sequel to my steampunk novel set in the same universe, and would be too wordy.

But let me put some thought to it and I might be able to write a short story based on the same character.

Athenaprime said:
Larry said:

Glad you like the idea, Larry. Now ante up and toss out an idea or concept that, to you, is a key element of dieselpunk. Doesn't have to be big, and it doesn't have to encompass all of dieselpunk, nor does it have to be exclusive to dieselpunk.

Because if nobody turns in any ideas, then it's going to be all me. The first time out I'd pick Zeppelins, but after that, it's gonna be girdles unless you all come up with something better. And less "unmentionable." :P

--athena
Each challenge will happen over the course of a month--compose your article, art, or short story over 30 days (or submit it if you've already got one in the hopper) and on the 30th day, we present them all as the "collected musings of dieselpunks on _____." (whatever the theme of the month is). I'd love to have a few theme ideas at hand so when I start this up, we can keep up the momentum.

I'm looking for feedback, too. Ideas on how to build something with this that people enjoy both observing and participating in. Just because I talk too much doesn't mean I'm not looking to listen. :)
--athena
Count me in (it looks like this happening all ready)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service