Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Hello, Punkers of Diesel

The blurb for the Interaction Forum says feel free to introduce yourself, so I thought I'd say "hi". 
[Drops fedora on the table and unstops the decanter] I'm new in town.
It's nice to find a Dieselpunk-y place on the webbynets to chat and share info. Little about me, I guess: I've always liked Dieselpunk and the 1920/30's Art Deco style, even if I didn't really know what it was. As a young'un I gravitated towards fiction with a certain style such as the Rocketeer, or the Batman Animated Services, or The Shadow. There's something about that retro-future 1930's "World of Tomorrow-" style that I love.
Here's where I might diverge from the norm, in that I know some Dieselpunk (most?) is grim and gritty and dark and dysoptian, but as I say, I like the idea of the romantic thought that Dieselpunk can be "The World of Tomorrow", with elegant statues everywhere and metro rails running through buildings and 12 lane motorways in the sky, etc. It's all a very romantic faux-New York setting.
I didn't know that "Dieselpunk" was a thing until about 2 years ago. I always knew what Streampunk was, I like the idea of Steampunk, but part of me feels like that sub-genre has turned a bit silly for me, though I know how that sounds. I like my punks subtle, or at least sensible. If anyone's played The Order: 1886, you'll know the setting. It's Steampunk, but it's subtle and believable. 
Streampunk, for the most part now, seems to be an excuse to stick steam into anything and to turn the satire up to 12 (why do you need a steam powered hat?, and why are there just random cogs sewn into everything you're wearing?), there's something about the Victorian period that puts me off a bit too. I've always preferred the Edwardian period and the later '20s and 30s. Things always seem more fantastical when they're not your own, so maybe that's part of it; I'm a Brit, so Victorian history is everywhere, but there's no 1920's/1930's New York/Chicago Art Deco stylings here. 
Imagine my surprise and joy when I found out that "Diesel"punk was a thing.
As I say, I'm new here, so I have no idea how active the Forums are, but I'm looking forward to delving into the site and discussing and sharing ideas.
Thanks for having me.

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome! The forum activity comes and goes, but I still post here on occasion thinking that if even just one fellow *punk is inspired by my post, then it's not time wasted.

Also, I don't know if it was intentional or Autocorrect, but "Batman Animated Services" is pretty hilarious.

Welcome to the site and the concepts of Dieselpunk alternate history.

I suggest you browse through the old postings, especially the ones that ask for your input.  We will get to know you better from your responses.

What is your outlet for Dieselpunk?  On the site there are authors, musicians, costumers, prop makers, and connoisseurs of history and fiction.  I myself am a role-player and world builder.  Tell us what you do in the world of Dieselpunk.

Stephen 

That's totally what I mean. What, you don't have an Animated Batman Service in your area?

Deven Science said:

Welcome! The forum activity comes and goes, but I still post here on occasion thinking that if even just one fellow *punk is inspired by my post, then it's not time wasted.

Also, I don't know if it was intentional or Autocorrect, but "Batman Animated Services" is pretty hilarious.

Outlet? Erm, I've never really thought about it. Fiction mainly, I like-y the books and games. I pretend to be an author every now an' then. I also shoot, and while I might be laying in a field on a Sunday afternoon shooting paper, in my mind I'm taking pot-shots at 1930's-style robots to save the airborne city of New Gloucestershire, or something.

Stephen Vossler said:

Welcome to the site and the concepts of Dieselpunk alternate history.

I suggest you browse through the old postings, especially the ones that ask for your input.  We will get to know you better from your responses.

What is your outlet for Dieselpunk?  On the site there are authors, musicians, costumers, prop makers, and connoisseurs of history and fiction.  I myself am a role-player and world builder.  Tell us what you do in the world of Dieselpunk.

Stephen 

Wow, so it's a really active forum, then? ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service