Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Steampunks!  Dieselpunks!  Lend me your gears!

As I look over this website, I see a lot of familiar faces and a lot of new friends.

Now I ask you, the community, how can we improve Dieselpunks?

Take the axe.  What would you chop?

Take the hammer.  What would you add?

Are there series that you're sick of seeing?  Are there things you can't wait for each week?

Are our policies too strict or too open-ended to be understood?

I'm looking to you, because this website isn't a vanity piece.  It's supposed to be an inspirational hub for artists and dreamers.  

Without you, Dieselpunks has no way to grow.  And unless we keep moving, we'll fall to rust.

Speak now.  Your voice will be heard.

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mostly, I find the site to be pretty good. However, I still think it needs something. I can't really put my finger on it right now though.

I'd like to do more with video on this site (I've been thinking of starting a vlog and don't really know where i'd post it on the site where it would be seen).

I think with a larger community, more needs will be realized on this site. I'd like to see about post a link to this site on the Vlog that I am working to start right now. [It is a vlog about the dieselpunk world I have been creating I want feedback from people. I am planning to post weekly videos and hope to be able to post them here in some way also.]

 

Edit: Also, I think this 15 minute timer to edit comments is a little silly. I have been on forums since 2006 and made well over 25,000 combined posts. I have never found that people edit their posts in malicious ways. Usually only editing is done to fix typos.

Hi Lawren,

I'd love to see your video blog as a weekly series on Dieselpunks.  We have the tools and the right audience.  Shoot me a PM when you're ready to put the rubber on the road and I can walk you through the details.


Lawren Harris-Barnett said:

Mostly, I find the site to be pretty good. However, I still think it needs something. I can't really put my finger on it right now though.

I'd like to do more with video on this site (I've been thinking of starting a vlog and don't really know where i'd post it on the site where it would be seen).

I think with a larger community, more needs will be realized on this site. I'd like to see about post a link to this site on the Vlog that I am working to start right now. [It is a vlog about the dieselpunk world I have been creating I want feedback from people. I am planning to post weekly videos and hope to be able to post them here in some way also.]

Neo-noir; like Brick and The Dresden Files?

Sure, I can work on that.  They're two of my favorites.

As for article suggestions, you can always shoot me a PM or email (tome@dieselpunks.org) with the link to check out.  A lot of people from Facebook send me suggestions all the time because they're not active members of this site.

If you're just looking to start a discussion, then sharing the link in the Groups or Forums would be the best place.


miss gallowglass said:

oh! i've thought of one. i love neo-noir and noir-futur, fantasy or otherwise; i always want to see more of it. i know it's a pretty tiny niche, though, and content on it doesn't come up every day. if it's not really relevant that's all right too.

 

and now i've thought of another one. this may just be something i'm missing, but i've tried to find it without success. frequently i run across newsitems or whatnot which might make good article fodder, but which i don't particularly feel qualified to expand and expound on, or else am in a hurry and just want someone to know about them in case they may be of use. is there a way to submit article ideas directly without actually submitting an article? a submission form? or is generating a new forum post for each of these instances the preferred way?

 

 

I have noticed that dieselpunks.org has a favicon, but I was wondering about a cut and paste code for an icon I could widgetize for my webpage. I have the standard social network icons on my website were people can follow me (facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc.) But I would love to put a dieselpunks icon right next to those so people who are already a part of dieselpunks could recognize me, and so that people not familiar might check it out.

As far as the site overall, I really find it to be the best I have come across as for functionality and use. The inner core seems to be very active, and the site is laid out great. Plus, I felt very welcome last month when I first joined.

One last question I have would be in regards to other diesel and steampunk sites. I have found some others that appear to be fairly large (like brassgoggles) that aren't directly mentioned here as "Brothers in arms." Are there some differences in philosophy working behind the scenes, or are there just too many to keep up with?

I would be more than willing to crawl the nets looking for some of these others...

Hi Mr. Brown,

Tell me what size icon you would like, and I'll bang one out for you.  Since there's no standard size, I just offer the logo for download through the gallery if anyone needs it > http://www.dieselpunks.org/photo/albums/dieselpunks-propaganda

As for the "Brothers in Arms," those are truly our brother sites.  We support them, and they support us in turn.

Since I pay for everything you see here out of pocket and don't have any advertising or sponsors, that's my way of thanking those who support the site.


David Mark Brown said:

I have noticed that dieselpunks.org has a favicon, but I was wondering about a cut and paste code for an icon I could widgetize for my webpage. I have the standard social network icons on my website were people can follow me (facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc.) But I would love to put a dieselpunks icon right next to those so people who are already a part of dieselpunks could recognize me, and so that people not familiar might check it out.

As far as the site overall, I really find it to be the best I have come across as for functionality and use. The inner core seems to be very active, and the site is laid out great. Plus, I felt very welcome last month when I first joined.

One last question I have would be in regards to other diesel and steampunk sites. I have found some others that appear to be fairly large (like brassgoggles) that aren't directly mentioned here as "Brothers in arms." Are there some differences in philosophy working behind the scenes, or are there just too many to keep up with?

I would be more than willing to crawl the nets looking for some of these others...

An option to have a poll either as stand-alone or in a thread would be an interesting addition.

I looked into this a few years ago.  Back then, PollDaddy were the big boys.

Do you use any other poll systems I should look into?


Lawren Harris-Barnett said:

An option to have a poll either as stand-alone or in a thread would be an interesting addition.

Well, I was thinking of something that would be built-in.

Is poll daddy something that will be built into the website or will a link be posted?

Ah! Perfect. Why did I not see the propaganda page before? But seeing how I lack a good photo editor currently, could you work up a 32px square and 64px square? You could just post them on the propaganda page or e-mail them to me if you like: hachebrown(at)gmail.com

I should be able to do this myself. Thanks for the offer.


Tome Wilson said:

Hi Mr. Brown,

Tell me what size icon you would like, and I'll bang one out for you.  Since there's no standard size, I just offer the logo for download through the gallery if anyone needs it > http://www.dieselpunks.org/photo/albums/dieselpunks-propaganda

Here they are (attached).

David Mark Brown said:
Ah! Perfect. Why did I not see the propaganda page before? But seeing how I lack a good photo editor currently, could you work up a 32px square and 64px square? You could just post them on the propaganda page or e-mail them to me if you like: hachebrown(at)gmail.com
Attachments:
Perfect. Thanks!


lord_k said:
Here they are (attached).

David Mark Brown said:
Ah! Perfect. Why did I not see the propaganda page before? But seeing how I lack a good photo editor currently, could you work up a 32px square and 64px square? You could just post them on the propaganda page or e-mail them to me if you like: hachebrown(at)gmail.com

While I know we have the Community Room but how about a separate section in the Discussion Forum dedicated just to Regional Dieselpunks. The purpose would be to allow dieselpunks of across the globe to find each other.

 

There's a good track record for this in the steampunk community with Brass Goggles with their Geographical Section so we could simply follow their format. In many ways their Forum started the ball rolling to allow steampunks in Texas to get in contact with each other. As a result the steampunk community now has a formal organization (Steampunk Illumination Society) and just last night we had a major steampunk event put on by the band Marquis of Vaudeville in Dallas called the Clockwork Wonderland, which I was involved in, in which we had an attendance of well over 400 steampunks.

 

I think it's important for dieselpunk to grow outside of cyberspace into the real world and something like this could help.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service