Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Is Sci-Fi and/or fantasy a requirement to call something Dieselpunk?

Hey there guys & gals!
We had a great discussion on the Diesel Powered Podcast about Sci-Fi and Fantasy in Dieselpunk. Boss Larry Amyett asked the question whether it is a required element of the genre?

We'd love to get your feedback! Take a listen to the episode and let us know what you think!

http://bdcentertainment.podbean.com/e/the-diesel-powered-podcast-ep...

Views: 1311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say, Sci-Fi and/or fantasy is not required, but it does help in making it feel dated and make it stronger in imaginative style. When something is grounded into the real life, it resembles our own time too close and has to fit into a certain genre like Noir or Military or Burlesque in order to show that it is related to the Diesel Era. 

Titles like Gangster Squad or The Untouchables are in the real world and feature no magic or sci-fi whatsoever. But then again, the only way for people to even want to produce it, is because it's based on true events. Or something like The Godfather where the book the movie was based on was in that time. If someone tries to make a movie randomly, like a romance, and it takes place in 1940 and nothing more, the setting seems almost unnecessary to the main audience, thus having it almost forced to stay in our time or find some kind of dated element that will give its setting reason.

So in short: Not required, but it helps to give reason for it being Dieselpunk if it isn't set in the Diesel Era of the early 1900s.

By the by, good job on getting the archive! I can't wait to listen to all the old stuff. Also, have you guys thought of starting radio serials or maybe helping people with one? I kind of want it to become a thing. If you haven't already, I have found a channel on youtube that has a bunch of old horror ones and leads to other radio serial channels HERE and HERE.

Enjoy! Keep up the good work guys!

The retro sci-fi is required for something to be dieselpunk/steampunk. Otherwise it's really just historical fiction.

Well put. 

This doesn't mean that the story doesn't need to be written just not labeled with "punk." 

Blacky - thanks for the links.  I love those old serials. 

Atterton said:

The retro sci-fi is required for something to be dieselpunk/steampunk. Otherwise it's really just historical fiction.

If I find anymore, I will post them up on this site, if you want. All you gotta do is type in "radio serials" on youtube and they give you a bunch of channels, but I'll still look for the good ones :) I more or less agree that there needs to be a "punk" part of dieselpunk, but I still think Dieselpunks should enjoy and have intrest in historical fiction and the early 1900s just the same!

Fully agree with Atterton and the Captain. Would add that if all you are doing is twisting historical events, times, and/or people about, your story would fall more into Alternate History than 'Punk'. Its ALL GOOD, but 'Punk' does need that little extra kick of SF&F.

Captain said:

Well put. 

This doesn't mean that the story doesn't need to be written just not labeled with "punk." 

Blacky - thanks for the links.  I love those old serials. 

Atterton said:

But what if it's a Noir story? Is that in the Dieselpunk side, or is it just something Dieselpunks will like because it is from that Era?

The latter.

Okay. Yeah, I recheck exactly what the meaning of Dieselpunk is. It has to take the setting and expand on it to "exterior means" which can be scientific progress or magical intervention. So yes, it has to have something UNREALISTIC to be Dieselpunk. If it's 100% grounded into real life, it is alternate history. AND the "punk" means that there also has to be a rebelious attitude or something to "not follow societies rules".
Then again, for Dieselpunks, all of our source matrial(gangsters, soldiers, bootleggers, ect) are just that!

Well, I would disagree on a few points. It needs the retro-futurism.

That's what scientific progress means. Sorry, it's a compicated way to say it haha But if magic is involved, science isn't needed because reality is being modified, as long as it sticks with the time period.

That would make it fantasy.

So it needs magic AND sci-fi to be punk? Just to clarify.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service