Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Is Sci-Fi and/or fantasy a requirement to call something Dieselpunk?

Hey there guys & gals!
We had a great discussion on the Diesel Powered Podcast about Sci-Fi and Fantasy in Dieselpunk. Boss Larry Amyett asked the question whether it is a required element of the genre?

We'd love to get your feedback! Take a listen to the episode and let us know what you think!

http://bdcentertainment.podbean.com/e/the-diesel-powered-podcast-ep...

Views: 1261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, it needs advanced science and technology based on the ideas of that era.

I would like to disagree. I rememeber reading a story that is Noir and had magic with no extra science involved. It was Dieselpunk because it had the Diesel Era, along with the punk way of thinking and it modified reality itself because of the unconventional way of doing things. Or with another story where the main character was a Noir detective who is a zombie. It is punk and didn't need science to make it so.
Indiana Jones is one of the #1 ways to discribe Dieselpunk in the adventure pulp aspect, yet there is no science manipulation(except for the acciedental RPG that wasn't invented yet). So for the adventure pulp, all that is needed is a technology of the time and a magical artifact/creature.

Like I said at the very very top, Diesel tech is the best way to express Dieselpunk, but is not required. And now I see that it has to be sepreated from a reality or else it's only historical fiction or a period peice.
That's just my opinion. I'm just giving the points that make me believe it.

Njah, I wouldn't say Indiana Jones is dieselpunk.

Good discussion. I see magic as alt tech. Magic is just science that hasn't been defined yet.

On the podcast I make the argument that to be Dieselpunk, it must meet these criteria:
1) Contemporary in origin
2) visual aesthetics of the diesel era
3) have element of sci-fi/fantasy
4) "punk" - counter cultural attitude or commentary.

Well, I'd say you managed to get about one and a half points right.

So, Johnny, with that said, would you agree that(for example) a story about WW2 soldiers fighting werewolves, with no advancement in technology, is Dieselpunk? I see it as "close to the source material" if that is a good way to say it, to be on the boarder of reality and just taking a single step over the boundary, instead of going all out.

And as a completely random question for you and Atterton, but still relatable: Do you think Vikings are awesome?

Johnny Dellarocca said:

Good discussion. I see magic as alt tech. Magic is just science that hasn't been defined yet.

On the podcast I make the argument that to be Dieselpunk, it must meet these criteria:
1) Contemporary in origin
2) visual aesthetics of the diesel era
3) have element of sci-fi/fantasy
4) "punk" - counter cultural attitude or commentary.

Why wouldn't a story about WWII soldiers fighting zombies fall into the horror genre instead?

Vikings are quite interesting and weren't the barbarians people think. However they were still a people valuing gold over knowledge.

But it can still be a Dieselpunk horror, right? It doesn't have to be one or the other. It's like a romantic comedy where it's in two categorizes at once. I just want to see how you see it, and I am still pretty new at the Dieselpunk thing.

Vikings are in two different worlds: what they were, and what we thought they were. THAT is where the real interest lies. I honestly like the "fantasy" Viking a little more, with the horned helmet and everything. The style is just more appealing, but the real Vikings are more epic in what they did for their time.

Atterton said:

Why wouldn't a story about WWII soldiers fighting zombies fall into the horror genre instead?

Vikings are quite interesting and weren't the barbarians people think. However they were still a people valuing gold over knowledge.

A work of fiction can certainly straddle several genres. I would just need a reason why it would be dieselpunk too. I recently read a comic book mini series from DC, featuring Frankenstein's monster fighting alongside other monsters, some of them made in labs, against the nazis. There you could make a case for dieselpunk. It was called Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown.

The reason would be it takes place in WW2 and nothing more. So is that enough to say Dieselpunk when a mystical force is involved or is that too little and is instead a fantasy that just takes place in WW2?

That isn't enough. As regards the vikings, you might find this discussion interesting:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6787.0.html

Ahh, I see. Mind you, I love it when someone adds extra tech because it shows more imagination that just pure research, but I have seen seen stories that simply take place in the Diesel Era and nothing more. If only there was another name to call it instead of Dieselpunk. Maybe Dieselfantasy? Or if it's a plain romance in the 1920s we can call it Dieselromance?

Thank you for the link! I can't wait to check it out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service