Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

As a small community, we fight an uphill battle for legitimacy.

We've proven ourselves through membership.  The Dieselpunks network now has over 5,000+ registered members across the 'net and ten times as many regular visitors.  We’ve proven ourselves through support.  In 2014, we became one of the fastest Kickstarter fundraisers ever to reach its target goal.  The next step towards building our community is live participation.

On August 1st, our first official event is taking place in Philadelphia at the Jazz Age on the Delaware Roaring Twenties Party.

Thanks to the efforts of our community, we’ll have a full day’s worth of live music, dancers, vintage vendors & entertainment, a classic car & bike show, a cigar lounge, costumes, a pie baking contest, food, drinks, and classic cocktails provided by our local speakeasies.

The event is open to the public, family-friendly, and will be taking place on the grounds of the historic Glen Foerd mansion. Gatsby would be proud!

To succeed, we need to show the Glen Foerd that this is an event worth backing.  To do so, we need you to treat this event as your own and make a lot of noise!  Join us at the event, share us on Facebook and Twitter, tell your friends and family about us.  Do everything you can to shout it from the rooftops.  We may only have one shot at it.

As our first official event, I’m making great efforts to ensure the quality will be professional and unforgettable.  By my side will be Natanya DiBona, event coordinator behind the international Dîner en Blanc.  We also have the support of the Historical Society, the vintage community, outstanding coverage by the local television and print media, and… you!

Pre-order tickets are super-important.  Not only are they significantly cheaper, but as a first-time event, we need to know how many people to expect so we have an appropriate amount of food, drink, staff, and creature comforts on hand.  Use the promo code JAZZAGESTYLE15 at http://www.jazzageonthedelaware.com/tickets/ to pre-order your discount tickets.

We also have volunteer slots available.  If you don’t mind helping for a shift, we’ll thank you with a free general admission ticket and free food & drink.  Some of our free 10’ x 10’ vendor tents are also available for vintage artists, makers, musicians, and crafters.  Shoot me an email at tome@dieselpunks.org if you’re interested.

We have the means, the heart, and the opportunity to raise our community to the next level.  If you love the jazz age as much as I do, and you want to see more dieselpunk in the real world, lend me your support on August 1st.  We may not have another chance.

For the future,

-Tome Wilson
Owner/Operator, Dieselpunks

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah... I would love to go :-(

I'd love to go as well, but I'm afraid that I have got geography against me on this one.

One of the benefits of having an online community is meeting people around the world.

The downside is not being close enough to spend a weekend together.

How about I send the Spruce Goose to pick up everyone?  That shouldn't cost too much, right?

Does it serve Verona, Italy? ;-)

We'll be making all local stops from New York to Shanghai.

If you get the Spruce Goose I'm in.  I'd settle for a Gooney Bird.  Otherwise, I am way too far away (and have another event in the Yukon Territory later in August).  The mansion looks like a great site.  Please post pictures. 

Tome Wilson said:

One of the benefits of having an online community is meeting people around the world.

The downside is not being close enough to spend a weekend together.

How about I send the Spruce Goose to pick up everyone?  That shouldn't cost too much, right?

I sure will.

The best thing everyone can do if you can't make it is to spread the word however you can.

I can't stress enough how important this first-time event will be to the success of future efforts.

Sometimes it feels like shouting down an old well but you might want to post the event on the main SteamPunk sites like: http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/events  ,  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php , and  http://www.reenactor.net/index.php?action=forum   Consider advertising in other local sites like Craigslist or swing dance groups.   Are there any nearby (WW I/II) museums?  Put posters up in sewing/fabric shops.  A local engineer decided to rent a stretch limo for his birthday this month and on a wild hair decided to ask everyone to wear Gatsby era suits.  A half dozen ladies showed up in dresses that they made that week (according to one of the ladies we met yesterday).  In other words, cast a wide net.  Oh yeah, invite Harrison Ford; what can it hurt?  

http://www.zootshooters.com/clubs 

First year events rarely draw a big crowd these days.  If there is a big DP turn out the first year great but don't get disheartened if not.    Build it and they will come. 

Captain, now that's speaking like a marketing person! ;-)

I'll do what I can to spread the word.

I'm not a regular member on the steampunk sites anymore, so I feel weird doing a drive-by on their systems.

Do either of you still haunt the old sites?

As for the local advertising in Philly, we have that covered via TV, newspapers, and local troupes.  Although, no one has reached out to Harrison Ford yet.  Hmmm...

It would probably be better looking if you posted the event but I can post it if you like.  There are not enough new posts that folks mind a drive by eventing.  Just let me know.

If you ask Harrison Ford the worst that he can do is ignore it, the best is show up in (any) costume, not bad is sending you one or more of these pictures signed to give out as door prizes.  It would probably be rude to ask for a piece of his crashed antique airplane even if he did manage to make crashing a plane cool. 

Maybe leave posters at local tuxedo rental shops since zoot suits and other vintage cuts are half way popular these days. 

The invitations have been sent.  I'll let you know if I see a bullwhip in the mail :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service