Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I've been thinking for a while that there must be at least a few people in my area who would share an interest in dieselpunk. So I've been trying to think of the best way to get them together. The local steampunks are gradually being organized but that was largely due to Abney Park came to an anime convention, which brought a lot of steampunks out together. Someone then took the effort to set up a local steampunk organization which became known by internet and word of mouth.

Several of the steampunks I've spoken to have expressed an interest. In fact, at or last steampunk meeting two came as dieselpunk, which I've done before. Our steampunk organization is very open of other genre punks.

So the question is how can I do start to organize dieselpunks in my area? I was thinking of starting with either a Yahoo Group or a Meet-Up. I've already set up a Facebook page. I was also going to start a site, maybe using Wordpress since it seems to work well for this, and call it North Texas Dieselpunks.

Anyone have any ideas and recommendations?

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Flyers at the local colleges?

Maybe pushing it a little harder on this site, with some specifics like time and date?  Try adding your meeting to the event calendar and see who pops in.

One thing to note is that you should have an agenda to the meeting.  For example, "this month, we're going to share some music, so everyone should bring along one of their favorite dieselpunk tunes to play."

Instead of a Yahoo group you could try Google Groups or Facebook. They're more in vogue atm, which guarantees more potential interested folk see it. If you do start a wordpress website, and it get bigs, you can always buy the ".com" so its shorter for people (ideally you would do this only when theres a sufficient amount of traffic to make it worthwhile)

Thanks for the ideas. Good thoughts.

I'm putting together a flyer to try to reach local dieselpunks and was wanting feedback. I would love recommendations what to add, subtract, etc... With it I would include the wordpress web site I've set up.

Thank you in advance.

Do you love movies such as Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow,  Public Enemies, The Shadow, Chinatown and The Big Sleep? Do you love Swing Music, Big Band, and Jazz? Is you’re favorite hat a fedora? Do you love Art Deco,  the Golden Age of Radio and vintage cars?

Then you just might be a Dieselpunk. 

Dieselpunk can best be defined as a subculture and a genre of art blending the aesthetics of the 1920s through the early 1950s with today.  The goal of dieselpunk is to create something unexpected and new by merging the zeitgeist of the past with today’s technology and attitude.

North Texas Dieselpunks is a brand new organization established to bring together like minded individuals who want to socialize and share their love of that Golden Era and keeping it as a living, breathing part of our culture.   

I like the flyer. I might squeeze in The Rocketeer to the list, as that movie was my gateway drug to the culture, but that's just me. Good luck. I hope you're able to gather up enough for a nice group. That would be awesome, and I hope to find something similar when I return to the States.

Larry said:

I'm putting together a flyer to try to reach local dieselpunks and was wanting feedback. I would love recommendations what to add, subtract, etc... With it I would include the wordpress web site I've set up.

Thank you in advance.

Do you love movies such as Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow,  Public Enemies, The Shadow, Chinatown and The Big Sleep? Do you love Swing Music, Big Band, and Jazz? Is you’re favorite hat a fedora? Do you love Art Deco,  the Golden Age of Radio and vintage cars?

Then you just might be a Dieselpunk. 

Dieselpunk can best be defined as a subculture and a genre of art blending the aesthetics of the 1920s through the early 1950s with today.  The goal of dieselpunk is to create something unexpected and new by merging the zeitgeist of the past with today’s technology and attitude.

North Texas Dieselpunks is a brand new organization established to bring together like minded individuals who want to socialize and share their love of that Golden Era and keeping it as a living, breathing part of our culture.   

Thanks Devon. Good idea.
For the sake of Brevity, you can probably shorten the title to "Sky Captain," then mix "Fedora" into your last question.  That way, you can condense the verbiage and keep the beat of your message flowing by using the rule of three.

Larry said:
Thanks Devon. Good idea.

Excellent advice, Tome. I hadn't heard of the rule of three. Thanks!

Frankly, if I can just get a half dozen or so dieselpunks locally who would like to get together once in a while that would be cool. If it ever grew into something more than that, well, I consider that more of a daydream so I'm keeping my sites low for now.

Tome Wilson said:

For the sake of Brevity, you can probably shorten the title to "Sky Captain," then mix "Fedora" into your last question.  That way, you can condense the verbiage and keep the beat of your message flowing by using the rule of three.

Larry said:
Thanks Devon. Good idea.
Dr. Steel's army of Toy soldiers- They have local groups and would be great to contact them x
Good idea, Dr.

Is the facebook page the "Texas Steampunk" one? or is there another I haven't found yet? Can you post a link to make sure I find the right one?

My personal opinion of the yahoo groups and Meet-Ups are pretty low. It feels like one more thing added on top when I am already visiting sites like this one and facebook. I think facebook is probably the best place to start.

For people that are into Twitter there has been great success with Tweet-ups in places like Boise, Idaho. Someone well known on twitter starts a tweet up by announcing it with a hashtag (#dieselmadhouse) or something like that. Then people that want to join in retweet the tag, time and place. As long as the hashtag is maintained then the string is easy to follow. People can keep up with any changes, updates and who is going. This sort of thing works best for simple events (gathering at a pub or park). But they have worked well for tightly knitted groups. Local Dieselpunks could be a good example.

Then I think the facebook and twitter accounts could link to a site like this one with a community room dedicated to locals.

On an aside, where is the "community room" that has been referred to?

Lastly, do you have any ideas on how to find people locally who might be going to the Wild Wild West Conference in Tucson this March? http://www.wildwildwestcon.com/ 

The best source for steampunk activity in North Texas is the group I'm associated with: Steampunk Illumination Society. Our Forum is http://steampunkis.org/forum/

The next big local steampunk event will be All-Con in March, which is usually an anime festival but this year is steampunk themed.  My wife and I already have our tickets and our rooms reserved. The big local steampunk band is the Marquis of Vaudeville, who I interviewed their front man Toby Lawhon for Dieselpunks Forum and whom I'm glad to call a personal friend.
David Mark Brown said:

Is the facebook page the "Texas Steampunk" one? or is there another I haven't found yet? Can you post a link to make sure I find the right one?

My personal opinion of the yahoo groups and Meet-Ups are pretty low. It feels like one more thing added on top when I am already visiting sites like this one and facebook. I think facebook is probably the best place to start.

For people that are into Twitter there has been great success with Tweet-ups in places like Boise, Idaho. Someone well known on twitter starts a tweet up by announcing it with a hashtag (#dieselmadhouse) or something like that. Then people that want to join in retweet the tag, time and place. As long as the hashtag is maintained then the string is easy to follow. People can keep up with any changes, updates and who is going. This sort of thing works best for simple events (gathering at a pub or park). But they have worked well for tightly knitted groups. Local Dieselpunks could be a good example.

Then I think the facebook and twitter accounts could link to a site like this one with a community room dedicated to locals.

On an aside, where is the "community room" that has been referred to?

Lastly, do you have any ideas on how to find people locally who might be going to the Wild Wild West Conference in Tucson this March? http://www.wildwildwestcon.com/ 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service