Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I have been much less active on this site for the last few months, and I thought I'd explain why. See, after the wonderful Maker Faire in May, which my wife and I did dress up in dieselpunk attire for (see pic below), I was, well, re-focused. 

I saw many cool and amazing mods, inventions, and DIY activities. People who were really showing off some incredible and useful gadgets. There was an entire area carved out for the local steampunks, but the wife and I saw only one other guy who could be called diesel.

It's hard to explain what went on in my mind, but by the end of the weekend, I sort of felt suddenly like, just a cosplayer. Like I should be focusing on other aspects. 

I love the diesel area, heck, I just ordered another zoot suit for my wedding anniversary party early next year. But I think it was the military angle that I had been moving towards that made it feel silly to me. I mean, I AM a Chief Petty Officer in our glorious Navy, so why feel the need to dress up as a made up military guy?

I'm trying to put this delicately, as I don't want people who do cosplay, or those that do dress up in their clever military dieselwear to think that I'm bashing what they choose to do with their time. Those costumes are often awesome. I love seeing them on the site. I just realized that it's not where I should be focused. 

My love has been for quite some time the metal fabrication of bicycles and motorcycles. And so I put the clothes aside, and I've been building radical bicycles in my spare time. Bicycles that are not dieselpunk in any way, for the most part, which is why I haven't been cross posting them here. I have plans in the future for a couple of old-timey looking bikes, and when I build them, then I know they'll be welcomed here, and appreciated. But I'm still scouring swap meets and flea markets for the right parts, and it may be a while. Then, with the bike as a focal point, I'll be comfortable in altering my dieselpunk outfit to go with the bike. Give it a 1930s rider/adventurer slant, with driving gloves, goggles, and leather helmet, or somesuch. 

I'll leave you with an idea of what I've been doing. This is a stretched cruiser that I built, and am trying to sell on Craigslist:

Here's a tall bike that I built, to get that penny farthing riding up high feel:

And here's my latest project. I'm building an adult sized Green Machine, like I had when I was a kid. The front wheel is from a unicycle, the rear wheels are from a wheel chair that I had picked up for cheap, and the seat is from an exercise bike that I had gotten for free from a yard sale. The tubing is all fabricated by me. I just have the steering levers and linkage to complete, and then I'll give it its green paintjob:

I'll still be around, but my raygun rifles and other diesel-military stuff is on hold to focus on my two (or three) wheeled projects.

Views: 987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those are some wild bikes.  It's like taking a sculpture out for a ride.

And you know what?  I love seeing things like this on Dieselpunks.  Yeah, we all come here because we like *punky stuff, but it would be pretty shallow if that's all we were passionate about in life.

We're supposed to be a community, and a community is made up of real people who do things and have lives.  So, by all means, let us know what you love.  That's how real friends come together.

Really late to the party to be posting on this, but I was surfing the net looking at cool bike projects, and this came up.  The fact I'm into diesel doesn't hurt, but I'm into art deco and mid century also, and the stretch cruiser looks very deco (hence, very appropriate on this site to me).  I actually consider all of these to be lighter and darker versions of the diesel movement.  In other words, I like the red bike, and I think it fits!

What a thread to turn up. My bike building skills have advanced so far since this post! Maybe I should post an updated "non-Dieselpunk bikes thread" in the near future. I just finished a nation wide bicycle builder's challenge that I was handpicked to participate in.

Raleigh Sexton Jr said:

Really late to the party to be posting on this, but I was surfing the net looking at cool bike projects, and this came up.  The fact I'm into diesel doesn't hurt, but I'm into art deco and mid century also, and the stretch cruiser looks very deco (hence, very appropriate on this site to me).  I actually consider all of these to be lighter and darker versions of the diesel movement.  In other words, I like the red bike, and I think it fits!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service