After talking with lord_k we both agreed that we need to have a healthy discussion on whether the term dieselpunk should be objective or subjective given our disagreement over the movie The Postman (see here
There are some obvious pros on the term being objective:
- allows for quick identification
- eliminates disputes
- references are much more clearer
However, there are also some cons:
- some dieselpunkish art might disperse and be used to organize another form of "dieselpunk", undermining the "movement"
- Dieselpunk being an umbrella term for things that approximate dieselpunk allows for a greater quantity and quality of examples of dieselpunk to present to newcomers
- The differences between dieselpunk aproximations and a possible objective dieselpunk aren't that great
What is your opinion about this?
As lord_k puts it, should "The world after Big Badaboom instead of some alternate reality with no badabooms at all" be considered dieselpunk?