Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

So I just joined this site. I had heard vaguely about dieselpunk a few years ago, but just recently got into it. It was more formerly introduced to me by Larry at Dallas All-Con 2012.

I'm a fashion design major, but I really want to get into costume design for film in the long run. I love any excuse to study, create, and wear fashions from or inspired by any time period. I'm looking forward to all the fun creative opportunities ahead!

My boyfriend Kollin joined today as well. He already wears suits often and never leaves the house without a tie. He doesn't have any particular reason for it either. He just started one day and now only wears t-shirts around the house.

We're both really excited about all the cool new things we are finding.

I just can't wait to have the money to get my diesely wardrobe started!

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hullo!

I know where Kollin's coming from - people always look at me when I'm joking when I say I haven't worn jeans since I was 18. But I looked at them, thought, "I don't actually like these," and haven't bothered since.

welcome to the forum.  my now husband caught my eye by being the only man around who wasn't wearing a t-shirt in college, looking spiffy in his buttoned shirt.  really need to get back into sewing diesely stuff, but currently no time or space.

time and space are definitely not an issue for me right now...Money is majorly tho...which is really unfortunate

Welcome, J-me! 

And yes, time and money and all that.  The old adage that "time = money" has held true for me.  Whenever I've had the one I certainly have lacked the other!  As a fashion major you have the potential to design and make your own on the (relatively) cheap.  There's a fashion group on the site where you could pick up some advise and tips and inspiration, perhaps.

Oh definitely...

Being able to make my own patterns and having tons of fabric laying around will definitely help...

Unfortunately I have lots of great ideas in my head but no appropriate fabrics for them :(

My wife would be glad to help. She makes her own Dieselpunk dresses. Just let me know and I'll get the two of you in touch with each other.

I would love to know where she gets patterns (I don't want to have to make my own for everything) as well as where she got that brown diamond patterned fabric she used for the dress she wore at All Con...I keep seeing that fabric but can't seem to find it anywhere

There's charity shopping too! (Thrift shops for the US.) I get a lot of my bits and pieces from charity shops, especially pieces that I wear every day. 1930s/ 1940s-style skirts, hats, vintage handbags, jewellery - I've picked loads of bits up for £5 or less. ($8 or under.) You do have to know your shops and check back on a regular basis, but once you get into the habit it's really addictive, and I get a real buzz when I find something just right. Today for work I'm wearing a £3 oyster satin top in a very deco style and carrying a £4 1960s mock-crock handbag as parts of my outfit.

J-me said:

Oh definitely...

Being able to make my own patterns and having tons of fabric laying around will definitely help...

Unfortunately I have lots of great ideas in my head but no appropriate fabrics for them :(

Kollin and I have been planning on hitting up the thrift store, goodwill, and the mini mall on the square. The mini mall (kind of like an endless messy antique shop) always has military surplus stuff. Once we have more money we're gonna go around to all those places and pick up as much good diesely stuff as we can find

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service