Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

There I am, laying in bed with insomnia, and I get to thinking about what I'm going to wear to the Steampunk World's Fair.

On one hand, I'm not a cosplayer (cosplay = Costume play).  My dieselpunk gear consists of everyday "street legal" clothing.  I may get a few looks when I'm wearing miliaria & uniform pieces like this (not me in the photo), but I'm also not going out looking like steampunk Santa just stopped by and I want to wear all of my toys either.

That being said, this is a big event with hundreds (thousands?) of people, the fashion level will be turned up to eleven, and the ridiculous will be the norm.

So, here's the question.  Do I stick with my normal street gear and make the statement that dieselpunk is more than cosplay, or do I get obnoxious with my outfit since that's what the crowd is expecting?

I had an idea floating in my head of combining a white Great Gatsby tuxedo with the droog uniforms from A Clockwork Orange (minus the codpiece).  It would certainly say "Ostentatious '20s" and "punk" at the same time (among other things), but I'm not sure if that's the message I want to express for the site and movement as a whole. 

What do you think?

Views: 1149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get obnoxious!
Bwah hah ha!
Keep the codpiece. Please.
Honestly now, something ressembling dieselpunk santa just stopped by with all the toys would look kick-ass. I actually don't think anyone ever dressed up like that before. It would really send a powerful message.
I think the message would be heat stroke. The event is in May.
LOL. Well, you don't need to overdo it. You can make a "summer" costume that still looks very detailed without heating you up much.
I could build a Big Daddy outfit. I'm sure that would make a statement depending on whether or not I could get the drill arm to work like it does in the game.
Out of context, that just sounds so wrong.
hahahaha
I realized that and facepalmed immediately after.
Forget about it. You don't have to send me a Valentine's this year.
If you want to be a rebel, why not don the rebel uniform of the time in the 30's and 40's the Zoot Suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_suit

One quote from the wiki:
"Zoot suits were for special occasions, such as a dance or a birthday party. The amount of material and tailoring required made them luxury items, so much so that the U.S. War Production Board said that they wasted materials that should be devoted to the World War II war effort. This extravagance during wartime was a factor in the Zoot Suit Riots. Wearing the oversized suit was a declaration of freedom and self-determination, even rebelliousness."

weather you think they look silly or not they are definitely the uniform of the rebellious.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service