Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I was curious what reaction others here receive from the public when you're wearing dieselpunk style? Most of the time mine is pretty positive. Especially from senior citizens. Today was a little disturbing though. I was dressed in what I call my "Godfather style" meaning all black with a white tie and my white fedora (the same hat as in my photo here). We were out eating lunch when I noticed some women looking at a cell phone laughing. After they left my wife leaned over and told me that they had taken my photo.

Anyone else get odd reactions when wearing dieselpunk fashion?

Views: 1220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went club hopping a couple nights ago in what I call my "military dieselpunk" look: A black captain's hat with goggles and a Dr. Steel pin as a roundel, a scarlet shirt, black tux pants (with a red stripe on the legs) with braces, my black boots and a black duster with epaulets. Except for one guy that kept making "German" cracks and a few odd looks from old-timers at one place I went (an American Legion post), I got very positive comments.

When my wife and I went to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy recently I was dressed in all black except my tie. I wore my black, pin-stripe three piece suit, black tie, black shirt, black fedora, and pure white tie. My wife wore a black dress with white polka dots and a white wide-rim hat with black ribbon.

While there we were greeted by many people with positive comments. By both the staff and by other concert goers. One man asked for advice on where to buy fedora's, which I was glad to provide. I also saw quite a few men and several women in very nice diesel era fashion.

The coolest, and I mean really coolest, moment was when we met the band members for autographs. I actually got complimented by several of the members of BBVD on how I was dressed!!!! That was just amazing.

It don't get any better than that.

I'm seeing the same thing. I don't get out of Tenleytown area more than once a week but I was down at the National Gallery recently and was pleasantly surprised at all the fedoras and cloth caps people were wearing. 

Cap'n Tony said:
I'm seeing more folks with hats in the DC area every day. Part of me is thrilled, part of me is proud (I do still claim trendsetter's rights), and part of me is a little disappointed...I feel so normal again! :(
I enjoy dressing a lot of the time, but sadly I do not have many nice clothes to do it, as my main dilemma is that I am 6' 6" and have that "Reach out and touch somebody" build that means my arms are long and my shoulders wide......I do however have a black suit with a white shirt and a black tie with a silver and black tie clip hanging in the closet I wear on special occasions, and I actually found it nice that when I was buying it the store clerk that was helping me at Men's Warehouse commented that I decided to buy a nicer suit then most lawyers own! I'm also thinking of starting to sport the dress pants or khakis with a nice vest, tie, and dress shirt style, along with a fedora. Could anyone give me some tips on where to find one that would fit my variety of overtly large melon?

black suit with a white shirt and a black tie with a silver and black tie clip

Sounds very cool!

Yeah, I usually get some nice comments when i wear it to church and the like, which makes me want to wear nice things more often, hah!

Larry said:

black suit with a white shirt and a black tie with a silver and black tie clip

Sounds very cool!

I live in T-shirt and jeans California, so I don't wear suits very often. When I do, it's a dark, tailored suit with a button-down Oxford cloth shirt and a narrow tie. Basically the "Mad Men" era (or Frank Sinatra) look, because that's how my father and my uncles all dressed. Stylish, but understated... just different enough to be individual, but not attract a lot of attention. That, I can do without. Unlike Sinatra.

Here in Melbourne there is a huge punk, goth, retro, hipster culture so it's pretty hard to stand out at all regardless of how you are dressed!

I dress in a 1930's-1940's style and people don't really notice me much at all! Occasionally, teenage girls will approach me and ask how to replicate my pin curls or victory rolls, but other than that I tend to fly under the radar.

I did once get yelled at in the street while wearing a faux fur stole - just think of that poor faux fox who had to die for my faux glamour!

I wasn't aware that there was that big of a movement in favor of alternative cultures in Melbourne, but I must say that now it sounds like a fun place! Also as to the yelling at least it wasn't a paint thrower, we have a few of those in the states and I'm into leatherwork rather then wasting what people hunt anyhow, so I have to be watchful on occasion;) 

As to my reactions I have a slight update, I actually recently wore my new pilot digs to a costume party at my local anime club and got asked if I'd parked my airplane on the roof! I was quite happy I'd managed to pull off the look that well, as usually when I dress up no one has any idea what I am!

Theda Fontaine said:

Here in Melbourne there is a huge punk, goth, retro, hipster culture so it's pretty hard to stand out at all regardless of how you are dressed!

I dress in a 1930's-1940's style and people don't really notice me much at all! Occasionally, teenage girls will approach me and ask how to replicate my pin curls or victory rolls, but other than that I tend to fly under the radar.

I did once get yelled at in the street while wearing a faux fur stole - just think of that poor faux fox who had to die for my faux glamour!

This is pretty much my experience, too. I live in the Bay Area. If anything, I get noticed because of being overdressed... most of the time I'm just told I look fashionable or dressy.

Theda Fontaine said:

Uh, I went to school dressed up in a pinstriped suit, complete with a waistcoat, dress shirt, and tie (I meticlously picked the waistcoat and tie to look vintage, and the dress shirt's cream-colored) plus pinstriped trousers, checkered fedora, and black leather shoes. It was for Valentine's Day and I thought everyone on campus would do something weird since this is college and all. I was going to surprise my high school crush and pick up a cake at 10 from a cafe which was really far. It all went well though.
I was on my way to the classroom 'til the stairs were blocked by bars since it was still too early. The security guard looked at me, smiled, and called me Magellan. I was like "What?!" A blockmate of mine, whom I didn't really like, asked me if my outfit was hot.

Being in the Philippines (Manila in precise, I'm from Iloilo which is radically different), people are too judgmental. During that time, they were all looking at me, from the house I'm staying at to school. They're just, not creative. Most of the time, I wear collared shirts and polos with beige or cream-colored trousers instead of jeans and T-shirts. My mama, ironically, wants me to look "young". After I graduate, I'll prolly want to buy lots of Modern-looking (1930s-like) clothes.
Oh, btw, a similar thread was discussed at QueensofVintage.com and one of the girls there even mentioned being hurled at with death threats.

The other day, I was out with some friends at a pub on the Edinburgh high street. I was wearing a grey fedora and while I was waiting at the bar for my drink, this guy sidled up to me and stuck out a hand. After a couple seconds' hesitation, I shook it.

"Your hat is pimpin'." He said.

"Uh, thanks."

"No, really. You see some of these muppets around here with their gammy hats, but your hat . . . is pimpin'."

It's always nice to be appreciated.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service