Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

From our friends at The Art Of Manliness:

How to talk like Frank Sinatra: A nice little list of the slang that Sinatra and the Rat Pack would use.

Maybe more in line with Atompunk than Dieselpunk, but I think Sinatra and the 'Pack were really holdovers from the earlier era. And definitely had a corner on the market of cool.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/02/11/talk-like-frank-sinatra/

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way cool, Clyde.
Yay!!!
Just noticed this one:

■ Punks – Any undesirable, in particular mobsters, gangsters or criminals.
Kinda funny when you think that in today's day and age, someone with Sinatra's attitude would be considered "punk."

Cap'n Tony said:
Just noticed this one:

■ Punks – Any undesirable, in particular mobsters, gangsters or criminals.
This surprises you? The original punks used that word exactly because of it´s negative connotations. After all they were trying to be all provocative and troublesome. Whereas I can´t see the ratpack existing today being thought of as punk in any real meaning of the term. Oldfashioned and non-mainstream perhaps, but not punk.
I dunno, I think the rat pack were very punk. They were funny, and they were cool... but they had a lot of attitude and weren't afraid to get in your face and mix it up. The whole Vegas mentality back then (of course, back then Vegas was run by the mob...).

Atterton said:
This surprises you? The original punks used that word exactly because of it´s negative connotations. After all they were trying to be all provocative and troublesome. Whereas I can´t see the ratpack existing today being thought of as punk in any real meaning of the term. Oldfashioned and non-mainstream perhaps, but not punk.
Jonny B. Goode said:
The whole Vegas mentality back then (of course, back then Vegas was IS run by the mob...).

Fixed :)
I´ve known punks with attitude. I´m not sure I´ve known any that were either funny or cool.
Have you been to Vegas lately? It's run by the Chinese.

Shaunathan Sprocket said:
Jonny B. Goode said:
The whole Vegas mentality back then (of course, back then Vegas was IS run by the mob...).

Fixed :)
Yea but Frankie wasn't just any punk.

Hmmm... lounge-punk? :p

Atterton said:
I´ve known punks with attitude. I´m not sure I´ve known any that were either funny or cool.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service