Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I have always wondered why our world is so insane, does anyone really know?

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure it's the world that's insane. Maybe it's us. Maybe our perceptions are the insanity, for expecting something other than what life gives us.
Simply because our perceptions are limited therefore pure rationality can never be achieved. A sensible decision from a given point of view (which is to say a given set of information) makes no sense from another point of view. Multiply this for every mind of our planet and you get the picture.
Is it really insane?  I mean, more than usual?  Just thinking back over the past century, I think I could point to two or three periods which were more insane than the one we're living in right now -- including a good chunk of the 'diesel' era. :)
Even if you did have pure rationality, rational interests differ - and what benefits one often harms another.  Even taking a strictly utilitarian perspective (greatest good for greatest number) many equally convincing, purely rational cases can be made for widely varying courses of action being most beneficial.  And so many unforeseen variables are involved that forecasting the benefit or harm of any course of action beyond the very immediate future is chancy at best. When Becquerel discovered radioactivity at the end of the 19th century, could he have foreseen that its study would lead, in less than half a century, to the atomic bomb?  Certainly not.  And even now it's far too early to say what the long-term effects of the latter on humanity are: in 2500, perhaps, people can look back and say whether it brought about the destruction of civilization, or, alternatively, put an end to the catastrophic cycle of bigger and worse world wars.  If we can't know or even plausibly guess the future, how can decisions based on what we guess is going to happen possibly be rational?

Leviathan said:
Simply because our perceptions are limited therefore pure rationality can never be achieved. A sensible decision from a given point of view (which is to say a given set of information) makes no sense from another point of view. Multiply this for every mind of our planet and you get the picture.
Our decision, as you noticed, can't be rational in absolute terms. A person can either takes his chanches and make his move or do nothing until some external authority or force drives him toward some direction. And besides, in many situations a rational outcome is virtally impossible. If you ever played a "prisoner dilemma" simulation game, you know how hard is to overcome fear and do the "right" thing; while our rationality is limited, I think it is still better to stick to it rather than give in to emotions. But too often leaders either don't know how a rational choice is made or aren't able to impose it to their ruling élite (think about all the countries that, when it was obvious that they had lost a war, went on, laying devastation both on themselves and on other countries).
I used to look for these answers. But recently, after getting on a Franz Kafka kick and reading everything by him that I can find, my eyes are opening to the fact that it's not the world that's insane, it's our expectations.
It seems like it is sometimes, and I used to let it bother me. But a few years ago, I decided that life really is what you make of it, so I carved out a great life for me, and if the rest of the world is insane, I try not to let it mess with my slice of the pie too much. That's what lifestyle choices like dieselpunk are all about, aren't they? Carving out and shaping your piece of life the way you want it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service