Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Here's my Hack-a-Day project log, with more photos and some enginee...

The largest "Deiselpunk" influence is in the general lines (front-heavy stance & the down-turned tail) and in some details - I plan to do engine turned  finishes on some parts, brass inverted levers, and some other "early days of motoring" decoration.  

I think the note I actually manged to hit is Cyberpunk, which is dead appropriate for the 1980's origin.  Its a crude use of a 'futuristic' (patented in the 1970's) design that is still rarely seen.  Its a back-lot build that "finds its own use" for various purchased and salvaged mechanical items.  It wouldn't have existed without the internet to make parts, tools, and information available, but the experience of building and riding it is meant to be entirely lo-teck.  "Sometimes you gotta get pretty technical, before you can even aspire to be crude."

As the name hints, what its really meant to be is a post-apocalyptic tribute to racing motorcycles, which really isn't at all far off the mark from some dystopian Deiselpunk.

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking sweet.  How's it ride?

I haven't had the engine back in yet, and just got done mounting the brakes, so can't really say.  The numbers look good (rake 20 degrees, trail 3.5 inches, 5.5 inches travel in front w/ straight rate, 3.5 inches rear w/ strongly progressive rate) but the spring rates might be off (perhaps to soft in front, but that may be OK given the anti-dive geometry).

I did take it for a roll down a little hill.  Felt good, given that the tires are worn and the thing hadn't rolled that far in nearly 5 years.  It also feels right in the "stand on it and bounce" test (though overly damped because of the lack of the engines sprung mass).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mwcBGgjsw

Looks like a rocket.

Sebastain Wiers said:

I haven't had the engine back in yet, and just got done mounting the brakes, so can't really say.  The numbers look good (rake 20 degrees, trail 3.5 inches, 5.5 inches travel in front w/ straight rate, 3.5 inches rear w/ strongly progressive rate) but the spring rates might be off (perhaps to soft in front, but that may be OK given the anti-dive geometry).

I did take it for a roll down a little hill.  Felt good, given that the tires are worn and the thing hadn't rolled that far in nearly 5 years.  It also feels right in the "stand on it and bounce" test (though overly damped because of the lack of the engines sprung mass).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mwcBGgjsw

Lots of work done since I posted this.  Frame painted, custom airbox, oil cooler, pipe wrap (to keep shock cool), lights & engine wired up, even started and rode it briefly.  Is at mechanics now, getting carbs fixed!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service