Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Use this thread to flash us with your own dieselpunk outfits! Let's see what you look like when you step out on the town!

Views: 24664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mei Li and I did a lil Airship Pirate thing a while back...thought some of ya'll might like it.

Where would any self-respecting Airship Privater go without their Monkey?

Cute monkey.

Sgt Monster said:

Mei Li and I did a lil Airship Pirate thing a while back...thought some of ya'll might like it.

Where would any self-respecting Airship Privater go without their Monkey?

Airship pirvateer, ha! Really neat. :) Speaking of which, can I get a comment on my sky pirate outfit?

I thought it was a very good start, or base, but it still needs a few small accessories to really sell it.

Salim Farhat said:

Airship pirvateer, ha! Really neat. :) Speaking of which, can I get a comment on my sky pirate outfit?

Sounds intriguing. What kind of accessories do you think would go with it? I'm totally inexperienced with building costumes as this is my very first one ever.

Deven Science said:

I thought it was a very good start, or base, but it still needs a few small accessories to really sell it.

Salim Farhat said:

Went back and looked at yours again Salim to try to help give you some ideas

I think it feels like its missing something cuz its all (well mostly) just black

Maybe if you had your jacket half zipped and had some interesting shirt, shirt and tie, or shirt and vest combination it might add some depth to it

Also perhaps if you swapped out some of your black things for colors, even greys or tans if you want to stick to neutrals

And maybe if you had more places to stash weapons it might look more complete. Maybe some sort of holsters/harness type set up. It might help break up the large blocks of color.

A good thing to think about with being a sky pirate, even if he's in the sky, he still is a pirate. Think about who he has fought, where they were from, what might they have had that he decided to keep. It really helps flesh out a pirate costume if you've got a little booty.

So much awesome, as usual. And a word of advise for posting picture: if you post a high-rez picture you can change the size so it takes up less space (clicking still goes to the full-rez version).

@Sgt Monster: You both look great! And is that dynamite I see in the miss's pocket? ;)

@Salim Farhat: I'm pretty inexperienced with costume making as well, and J-Me has already posted some really good help, but I think I've still got a good tip for you. Look up pictures from the period (some museums have good online galleries, so its worth looking up museums you know about). Defining features also help, but this isn't just a cool mask or something, like a contrasted colour or an irregular pattern (like gordon_eight's poka dot scarf).

I've got some ideas for my own costume, especially since I've got a better idea for where I'm going with it. I'll have to get back to you guys once I know more! Here's the first piece though ;).

Well I sorta had a realistic look in mind at first, but I figure it does need more accessories.

I think a shirt would go well underneath it, but what kind of shirt? A tie and the like isn't really his type. I mean he's an air pirate operating from a flying aircraft carrier, something a little more rough around the edges would be good. I was thinking of getting a tank top or just a plain green shirt or something. I might decorate or have it specially created with a message on it, like a the symbol of his pirate crew.

I actually do have a holster, and that's where I store the toy gun. It isn't too prominent, but I guess when I have the time and money, I might head back to the surplus store and get the extra big holster I found there, and then made a special harness to sling it on my leg for quick drawing. I might just add a few toy grenades for the heck of it. As for the character concept, I do have an idea, but I've yet to flesh out most of the details. He's in a pirate gang because he went AWOL from his original air service because he wanted revenge on those who killed his comrades, and he believed that his side was too 'soft' on them.

J-me said:

Went back and looked at yours again Salim to try to help give you some ideas

I think it feels like its missing something cuz its all (well mostly) just black

Maybe if you had your jacket half zipped and had some interesting shirt, shirt and tie, or shirt and vest combination it might add some depth to it

Also perhaps if you swapped out some of your black things for colors, even greys or tans if you want to stick to neutrals

And maybe if you had more places to stash weapons it might look more complete. Maybe some sort of holsters/harness type set up. It might help break up the large blocks of color.

A good thing to think about with being a sky pirate, even if he's in the sky, he still is a pirate. Think about who he has fought, where they were from, what might they have had that he decided to keep. It really helps flesh out a pirate costume if you've got a little booty.

@Salim Farhat

As for a shirt, a henley might be nice. Here's a pic of a henley in case you're not sure what I'm talking about. It used to be a VERY common style of shirt. Especially as an undershirt or a working man's shirt. They're knit so its just like wearing a t-shirt only cooler looking.

When I mentioned a vest I was thinking something casual and sort of military style. Maybe some cool pockets or something...now that I'm thinking about it again, what about something like Han solo's shirt and vest combo. Still clean and simple, but definitely casual and a bit rugged.

@JerreyRough

That gasmask/helmet thing is awesome. Is it staying that color or were you planning on painting it or anything?

The other holster I'm talking about could really be suited for that tough guy look. Though I still want to stick with the bomber jacket since A: I already have it, B: It does get cold up in a fighter plane and he does need warmth. I'll see what I can do about the shirt, Henley or otherwise.

J-me said:

As for a shirt, a henley might be nice. Here's a pic of a henley in case you're not sure what I'm talking about. It used to be a VERY common style of shirt. Especially as an undershirt or a working man's shirt. They're knit so its just like wearing a t-shirt only cooler looking.

When I mentioned a vest I was thinking something casual and sort of military style. Maybe some cool pockets or something...now that I'm thinking about it again, what about something like Han solo's shirt and vest combo. Still clean and simple, but definitely casual and a bit rugged.

I'm new around here so I thought I'd post a pic of the "Dust Girls" and myself from Vul-Con 2012 in front of my HU-136.

Hello! I'd like to say hi to the Dust Girl on the far left.

Rick Ivansek said:

I'm new around here so I thought I'd post a pic of the "Dust Girls" and myself from Vul-Con 2012 in front of my HU-136.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service