Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Now that the weather is warming up I noticed something. It seems to me that hot weather, which Texas is famous for, is going to possibly put a crimp in my dieselpunk style.

I'm sure where I'm going with this. It's just something that crossed my mind today.

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm taking a fashion course this summer I'm planning to make some diesel punk gear for myself. Also sorta off topic I'm making a WW1 gas mask out of clay for my final in Ceramics.

I live in PA and have never been to Texas, but ince we have something hear called "the island effect" which makes it really hot here. On most days I'd wear cargo shorts or capris, frm regular stores not army surplus, but I plan to get some stuff their soon.
this fellow is in texas, in the 1930's:

http://www.warbaby.com/fedorapix/vernacularstyle/WestTexasMan1930s.jpg

He does look warm..
Shaunathan, I bet he was hot indeed. I can only imagine Texas in the summer during the 1930's with no air conditioning. Not sure I could go for that short tie but I bet I could punk it up some. Thanks!

Shaunathan Sprocket said:
this fellow is in texas, in the 1930's:

http://www.warbaby.com/fedorapix/vernacularstyle/WestTexasMan1930s.jpg

He does look warm..
I Goldberg in Philly is a treasure trove of surplus. I'd recommend it to anyone as it's large and has several floors worth of stuff. Upstairs is new camping/survival gear. Ground floor is new work clothes and military pieces. Basement is all surplus militaria.

Radioactive Granny said:
I'm taking a fashion course this summer I'm planning to make some diesel punk gear for myself. Also sorta off topic I'm making a WW1 gas mask out of clay for my final in Ceramics.

I live in PA and have never been to Texas, but ince we have something hear called "the island effect" which makes it really hot here. On most days I'd wear cargo shorts or capris, frm regular stores not army surplus, but I plan to get some stuff their soon.
Thanks I'll see if i can go there this weekend!
Warmer weather requires lighter clothing. An off-white panama hat, a linen shirt with the sleeves folded half way up the forearm, and light-weight khaki trousers with suspenders. This gives the 1920/30's look of an expat American in Cairo, or a civilian military contractor on Wake Island; depending on the condition of the hat.

Just because your panama or fedora has seen better days is NO reason to stop wearing it.
Sounds a lot like that "Parrotpunk" look I do: Panama and cuban shirt. Linen is best: loose and billowy and great for both hot sun and humidity. The slightest breaze goes roight through it. Expat's a great way to put it too. For a grittier look check out Bogie's look in Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Long sleaves work far better in dry climes than in humid ones, though. In the Southeast where the humidity hovers around 80-90% even on cloudless days those long sleaves hold in the hot humid air and turn into mini saunas. Loose short sleaves allow more evaporation escape. I'll never get how people pulled off jackets in the tropics back in imperial days.

Myke DeArden said:
Hot weather's rough on style. When I lived in Arizona for 2 years, I learned a bit about hot-weather clothing. I found that a hat could make the difference between a tolerable day outside, and death by sun and dehydration.

Also, when it was 107+ that a long-sleeved shirt was more comfortable than a short-sleeved one. Sounds backwards, but a long-sleeved shirt works a bit like a personal evaporative cooler.

Just wear good deodorant...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service