Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Ran across this a few minutes ago while perusing odd and interesting nooks in the net. :-) 

The Fixer Manifesto

"Fixing is the unsung hero of creativity. And it really shouldn’t be. It’s the most common, humble and beautiful form of creativity. Let’s wear that belief proudly. Let’s notice and celebrate these little everyday triumphs, and help others see their value. We made this to fuel the conversation about why a culture of fixing is so important."

This fits us to a T- square!

The Fixer’s Manifesto is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Go nuts.

So remix away with Sugru's lessing

Views: 382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great find, Doc!  This certainly jives with DP culture.

Glad you like it Cap!

~ FIXERS ~ OF THE WORLD UNIT!

Always thought of myself more as a ~ Tinkerer ~ or a ~ Shade Tree Mechanic ~,  but I guess "Fixer" works just fine as well. Always found it rather odd that there are so many folks out there that can't figure out which end of a screw driver to use. (Even within the highly mechanical oriented trades that I practice!) Modern manufacturing certainly doesn't do much to dispel this. Everything is designed to be fully disposable or can only be worked on by "Technicians" armed with "Specialty Tools". Me, I just see that as a challenge to be overcome. What's the worse that can happen? You can't fix it so you have to replace it anyway? So, at least you gave it a shot! And if you do succeed, there just ain't nothing better than seeing the amazed looks on folks faces and feeling the pride of a job well done! 

Maybe if more folks took the time to try and fix things we can force the manufacturers to stop adding to our landfills. The next time you buy something, take a look at it and see if it can be repaired when it goes bad. If not, look for another manufacturer's product that can.

Your parents and grandparents were Fixers. So too can you be! 

A GREAT find, Doc!!!!

Can we have a motto?

Like "TO THE WRENCHES!" in Latin or something?

How about "MAKE IT WORK!!"

Motto: defined- "A short sentence or phrase chosen as encapsulating the beliefs or ideals guiding an individual, family, or institution."

Examples can be found online - Motto at Motto.biz has many lists but I find them to be more like quotes.

Now a Coat of Arms have mottos (note - family crests do not have mottos)  may be more what we are discussing. for example Dum spiro spero means "While I breathe, I hope" in Latin and is generally attributed to Cicero. It is a motto of various places and families.

Here are some famous mottos from coats of arms.

• Ad finem fidelis - Faithful to the end
  • Amor et honor - Love and honour
  • Bis vivit qui bene vivit - He lives twice who lives well
  • Candor dat viribus alas - Truth gives wings to strength
  • Carpe diem - Seize the present opportunity
  • Che sara sara - What will be will be
  • Chirsto duce vincamus - With Christ I will conquer
  • Corage sans peur - Courage without fear
  • Dieu et Mon Droit" - God and My Right - (used by Queen Elizabeth II)
  • Facta non verba - Deeds not words - (used by Ronald Reagan)
  • Felis demulcta mitis - The stroked cat is meek
  • Fructo cognoscitur arbor - A tree is recognized by its fruit
  • Generousitas et victoria - Generous in victory
  • In scientia veritas in arte honestas - In science truth, in art honour
  • Ne cede malis - Yield not to adversity
  • Nil claraius astris - Nothing brighter than the stars
  • Per mare per terras - By sea and land
  • Sapiens dominabitur astris - A wise man can rule the stars
  • Semper fidelis - Always faithful
  • Semper idem - Always the same - (used by Queen Elizabeth I)
  • Spectemur agendo - Let us be judged by our actions
  • Te ipsum nosce - Know thyself
  • Ullam-aime - Ever ready
  • Velis quod possis - Aim at what you can accomplish
  • Vincit veritas - Truth conquers

so are we trying to come up with a motto , and if yes then what for - making? diselpunks, this manifesto? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service