Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Anyone else here been following it? It's perhaps the most dieselpunk show on tv right now and, damn, it's good. You don't have to have watched the previous series, Avatar: The Last Airbender to get the gist of it, I didn't, and I'm enjoying this show greatly. The show, like it's predecessor, is heavily anime-influenced in it's overall look and feel. Basically, the world this show inhabits is a dieselpunk 1920s/1930s one with a huge Asian flavor. The music is even a mix between jazz and traditional Asian music. The plot involves a conflict between benders, martial artists who have control of the elements, and an underground organization which is bent on what they consider to be "equality" by taking the benders' powers away. Here's some pictures to give you a feel of it.

It's quite an enjoyable series, with lots of action, drama, comedy, etc.  If you have the time, check it out.

Views: 1648

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been loving this series as well. I hope they explore this "bending with modern technology" more in the next season (like the electricity bending). Plot-wise it wasn't as good as Avatar: The Last Airbender, so I hope they do a better job in season 2.

I definitely felt that the plot was rushed during the last two episodes of the first season. Just one or two more episodes to work with would likely have smoothed out some of the pacing problems. However, I've overlooked the problems with much more flawed works in favor of well implemented stylistic choices, so I have no problem falling in love with this show. Also, I was impressed with the characterization in general, and the handling of the love triangle was miles beyond what I'd expected from a young adult show (or many adult programs, come to that). I'm very interested to see where they take the story next, and my main complaint right now is "Why do I have to wait so long for season 2?"

Korra has to be one of the better cartoons made by "nick", and in my opinion it is some of the best dieselpunk I've watch. But i have to agree with Eric Langlois in that the plot was rushed.

Finally got to watch it tonight after my 7 year old, 5 year old and even the wifey tell me how good it was.  Thouroghly enjoyed it!  I was a fan of The Last Airbender so I had knowledge of it before watching it.  I would recommend it to anyone.

Alot of that had to do with the fact it was originally only going to be a miniseries, and they didn't know it would be continued until after almost all of the production was finished.

Eric Langlois said:

I definitely felt that the plot was rushed during the last two episodes of the first season. Just one or two more episodes to work with would likely have smoothed out some of the pacing problems.

The third season has begun airing. Hopefully it will involve more dieselpunk than the second season did.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service