Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

The main view of Diesel I have always seen is the Gothesqe city  style. This  leaves me  questioning; Are there any Country Diesel followers out there? I think that would be pretty cool, flannel shirts, tanned leather hats, boomsticks, dynamite, boots, the good ole  boys. Any  country boy Diesel out there?

Views: 606

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It actually seems kind of interesting. I'm new to this whole dieselpunk business, but I suppose "Why not?" It could be something like Appalachian moonshiners getting their life's work to the gothesque city you posted about. Or about something completely different. Like the idea though.

I think the aesthtic you are looking for can be seen in O Brother Where Art Thou and The Hunger Games...

Sometimes I wonder if parts around here (Montana) ever really left the Diesel Era! LOL

But there are stories that do make at least partial use of the more open environments. = Last Man Standing, Crimson Skies, Rocketeer, Orson Wells's War of the Worlds, &tc. A lot of this world ain't locked in concrete and shadows. Ya just gotta keep your eyes open. An interesting twist can also be when the Good 'Ol Boys go to Town. There's a reason those city hoods don't mess with Country Boys! LOL

I like the idea of a dieselpunk Western. I've noticed that a lot of post-apocalyptic stories have a dieselpunk feel to them, and they're definitely not city oriented. I enjoy twists on dieselpunk like retro future landscapes and dystopian noir that blend genres. Films like Brazil and 12 Monkeys come to mind, and even Blade Runner and Dark City. I know all of those count as sci fi as well, but I like to think of them as having some dieselpunk flavor...

In my opinion, there's a lot of what one might call Dieselpunk western in the movie Priest once he leaves the City.

Larry said:

"Somehow I missed this post. It's an excellent subject because I find it important to remind Dieselpunks that there was a whole world outside the big cities during the Diesel Era just as today.

I think the before mentioned Oh Brother Where Art Thou and Carnivale are indeed excellent examples of Southern or Rural Dieselpunk. I wonder sometimes if one could include the 1967 "Bonnie and Clyde" as a Dieselpunk movie, with its portrayal of the infamous duo. The movie Priest in the look of the way of life in the free towns outside the Church controlled City reminded me of the rural area during the Diesel Era.

While not Dieselpunk but more Diesel Era period you could include the recent movie Lawless. 

If you want to hear Rural or Southern Dieselpunk music you could listen to Western Swing or Bluegrass, both of which originated in the Diesel Era."

I completely agree! There's the simplistic Rural Farmer side, the  small town Greaser/Preps side, the birth of Suburbia, the Hollywood/Burlesque side, the Spaghetti Western side, even old school University Professor side. It just astounds me that the main perspective of Diesel is the Gothic Metropolitan angle.

I know that most are Post Diesel Era, but have you ever noticed how in most of those old Sci-Fi /Horror B-Movies all of the ~ troubles ~ either start or take place out in the rural Open Lands and only eventually make their way to The City??? Many storytellers like Lovecraft and others made heavy use of the backwaters and Less Traveled Roads to lend an air of ~ Other Worldly Strangeness ~ to their tales. For the City Slickers I reckon that the back country will always be a place full of nasty critters, "alien" landscapes and other unknowable hauntings. For those of us who live there, it's just . . . Home.

"Don't ya fret none cousin. Them thar varmints ain't got no taste fer a load a buckshot and salt-rock. Just don't ya go a foolin' with that thar medicine bag a hangin' thar from the mirror. That ol'Injun medicine man surely knew what he was about when he said it would keep them evil hoodoos out of my pickup's workin's. We should have plenty a time ta get ya back to the train depot before the moon gets all the way up. . . . Course, if'n we don't, well things might just get a tad interestin'. If'n ya catch my meanin'."

Yeah, them City Boys just don't know what ~ FUN ~ is! LOL 

This makes me think of Tremors. I love that damn movie. "Pardon my French." :)

Dan G. said:

I know that most are Post Diesel Era, but have you ever noticed how in most of those old Sci-Fi /Horror B-Movies all of the ~ troubles ~ either start or take place out in the rural Open Lands and only eventually make their way to The City??? Many storytellers like Lovecraft and others made heavy use of the backwaters and Less Traveled Roads to lend an air of ~ Other Worldly Strangeness ~ to their tales. For the City Slickers I reckon that the back country will always be a place full of nasty critters, "alien" landscapes and other unknowable hauntings. For those of us who live there, it's just . . . Home.

"Don't ya fret none cousin. Them thar varmints ain't got no taste fer a load a buckshot and salt-rock. Just don't ya go a foolin' with that thar medicine bag a hangin' thar from the mirror. That ol'Injun medicine man surely knew what he was about when he said it would keep them evil hoodoos out of my pickup's workin's. We should have plenty a time ta get ya back to the train depot before the moon gets all the way up. . . . Course, if'n we don't, well things might just get a tad interestin'. If'n ya catch my meanin'."

Yeah, them City Boys just don't know what ~ FUN ~ is! LOL 

ALL of the TREMORS movies AND the short lived TV spin-off !!!! They were THE BEST!

= Certainly a prime example of Good Ol'Boys having the kind of FUN that the City Folk would never get to see. Also, IMO, a pretty darn good example of a Quasi Diesel Era Sci-Fi. Excepting, of course T-IV which was pure Steam. But even that could be ~ fixed ~ !  LOL

Larry said:

(Old man sitting in a hover rocker, polishing his thought siting boomstick. )

"I remember the good ole days, when you could get a food materializer for only ten credits"

LOL I'm actually already  in the process of gathering my materials to create an outfit completely based off of this concept. It HAS to be done! :-D

I like to think of the series as Atomicpunk since it's a tribute to the monster movies of the 1950s like The Blob or Them!.

Dan G. said:

ALL of the TREMORS movies AND the short lived TV spin-off !!!! They were THE BEST!

= Certainly a prime example of Good Ol'Boys having the kind of FUN that the City Folk would never get to see. Also, IMO, a pretty darn good example of a Quasi Diesel Era Sci-Fi. Excepting, of course T-IV which was pure Steam. But even that could be ~ fixed ~ !  LOL

Larry said:

Of course you are right. Yet as I recall, those B-Movie monsters usually sprung from nuke testing in the desert. Graboids have always been with us. I liken them to Brian Lumley's contribution to Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos in the form of the Chthonian. Almost a dead ringer. . . . No matter. GREAT STUFF!

Speaking of Good Ol'Boys having Fun with things in the dirt, have you seen The Burrowers ? More of an Old West era (1879) horror film, but I think it bears mentioning because it could still slip easily into the Diesel time period (things don't change much out around these parts.) or provide inspiration for a Diesel Fired upgrade. All sorts of ideas come to mind as to how somebody (probably some dumb City Slicker. LOL) could go and get these critters stirred up.

Yeah, you know, the more I think on it the more certain I am that The Country has way more going on any day of the week than the The Big City. About all they have is some Two-Bit Gangsters and maybe some of them sissified city breed Vampires. Throw them all together and you hardly have enough to keep a Country Boy entertained for a Saturday Night! LOL

Larry said:

I like to think of the series as Atomicpunk since it's a tribute to the monster movies of the 1950s like The Blob or Them!.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service