Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

The Trilby: (hipsters wearing a Victorian Era hat)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilby

"A trilby hat...s distinguished by a very narrow brim that is sharply turned up in the back and a short crown, which is pinched in the front and indented into a teardrop shape in the center. The hat's name derives from the stage adaptation of George du Maurier's 1894 novel Trilby; a hat of this style was worn in the first London production of the play, and promptly came to be called "a Trilby hat".

The hat resurged in popularity in the early 2000s, when it was marketed to both men and women in an attempt to capitalize on a retro fashion trend. The hat has remained popular with both sexes into the 2010s, with various manufacturers experimenting with different patterns and emblazoning logos and other designs into the sides of the hat.

The hat has been associated with jazz, ska and soul musicians, as well as members of the indie, rude boy, mod, and 2 Tone subcultures.

A notable wearer of the trilby is Frank Sinatra. Sean Connery wore one in the first five James Bond movies, until changing trends necessitated that the suave character stop wearing a hat, lest he be seen as anachronistic or outdated by young filmgoers."

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seems in just the past few months there's been a HUGE resurgence in wearing Trilbys (as well as newsboy caps). I've even toyed with the idea of getting a couple for my collection.

I'm torn between my love for fedoras and my my lack of access to good fedoras.

Thanks for posting this. I know I get a lot of compliments on my fedora. If they were available in more places, and I didn't have to spend a wad of money to buy one, more men would wear them.

I agree completely Delight. Tilby's are everywhere but you have to look to find a fedora. I found some of my best sources are word of mouth.

Note: Many African-American men have kept the tradition of wearing hats. I found that the African-American community is a good source.

Delight Worthyn said:

A good hat for a man ( fedora)  is an investment and properly cared for can last a lifetime.There is a haberdasher where I live that has been in business forever and still does everything the traditional ways.

NOT a fedora, though. There's a difference. Two words:"stingy brim".

I will admit that in the summer when I'm very casual a trilby goes well with a t-shirt more than a fedora. But I pretty much limit my collection of trilby's to that.

docmagnus said:

NOT a fedora, though. There's a difference. Two words:"stingy brim".

Hmm. Never thought of that.
I tried on a trilby the other day at Walmart. Didn't like how it looked on me.
The interesting thing that I think people are missing out with the returned popularity of the trilby is that the fedora looks good on anyone.

Jonny B. Goode said:

Here's the problem.

You can pick up a Trilby at Wallmart for the same price as a baseball cap.  They're everywhere.

On the other hand, finding a local store that sells Fedoras in your size is like a million to one shot, and they're usually priced in the $60 - $200 range when you do find them.

The worst part is, this isn't the type of thing you order off the internet either.

Larry said:

The interesting thing that I think people are missing out with the returned popularity of the trilby is that the fedora looks good on anyone.

Jonny B. Goode said:

Tome, I agree that the price and availability are both real problems. Again, I strongly encourage anyone to seek out local African-American retailers. 

I have found a good online source: http://www.contemposuits.com/fedora-hats.html  I bought a well made white fedora from them at a good price. They also sell Homburg hats. And their sizing is accurate. I ordered my size and it fit perfectly.

Tome Wilson said:

Here's the problem.

You can pick up a Trilby at Wallmart for the same price as a baseball cap.  They're everywhere.

On the other hand, finding a local store that sells Fedoras in your size is like a million to one shot, and they're usually priced in the $60 - $200 range when you do find them.

The worst part is, this isn't the type of thing you order off the internet either.

Larry said:

Jonny B. Goode said:
As strange as it may sound, I found a pretty decent felt hat at the hunting section of my local sport store. Being green it looks good with the brown suit and while being more casual than my usual fedora, it helps in preserving it (if you wore a hat everyday for about 200 days a year you know what I mean).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service