Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Just check out the Diesel powered coolness of one Lando Calrissian..

Views: 804

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here we go...

My particular definition is similar to Larry's. To me, Dieselpunk is a new, contemporary, piece of work (and the subculture that has formed around the appreciation of those works) that is inspired by the pieces of work created during and around the interwar time period. That's the "Diesel" half of Dieselpunk

Where does "punk" fit in? I had this discussion with my pops the other day. He asked me what is so "punk" about Dieselpunk? I gave him the business about how each succeeding generation has pushed counterculture more and more, to the point that there are no rules anymore. Blue jeans have become designer wear and are perfectly acceptable on a first date. When I wear a fedora or flat cap, people look at me like I'm the weird one. When I went to a serious Hall of Fame ceremony that was meant to congratulate people on their service and careers in the industry I work in, people were cursing, catcalling, heckling and carrying on during the speeches. And it was seen as perfectly acceptable.

If "punk" is counterculture, and the culture has become entirely uncouth, then what "punk" should be now is anti-whateveryouwannacallit. So "punk" should be the return to the style and customs of The Greatest Generation. I'm not saying that when guys got together to watch a boxing match that they wouldn't tell blue jokes or even curse like sailors, but they would NEVER do it in front of women or children. People would dress up to go to the corner market, well, not tie and tails, but they'd put on a jacket and hat.

So the "punk" of Dieselpunk is the fact that there is little to no "punk" to be seen. Those of us lifestylers who open the door for a lady or stand when a woman enters the room. Those of us who wear hats and remember to take them off when going indoors. Those of us who don't even own a t-shirt and have perhaps one pair of jeans for doing dirty work in. Those of us who listen to music that evokes a need to dance, but NOT the way they do now. You are already being a "punk" in the most literal sense of the word. You are being counterculture. You are being civil.

Although I suppose it's just continuing KW Jeter's thing. Cyberpunk begat Steampunk which begat Dieselpunk. It's just a naming convention. But it can be SO much more, if we let it.

So Dieselpunk is (to me) a return to the lifestyle of the Greatest Generation. No real need for sci-fi tech (although it's a plus) and no need for the "mixing the then and the now," because the now is what we are trying to escape.

That's about as loose and yet defining as you could get, I suppose.

PS - Superman can be DP, depending on the version. Definitely the Fleischer/Famous Studios cartoons. But not really much of the later stuff.

PPS - Sorry, but according to my definition, Star Wars ain't Dieselpunk. Although I still love it.

@Travis James Leland
"Although I suppose it's just continuing KW Jeter's thing. Cyberpunk begat Steampunk which begat Dieselpunk. It's just a naming convention. But it can be SO much more, if we let it."

You can accomplish the same goals with the label Neo-Swing, rather than misappropriating Dieselpunk into something it is not.

O.G.,

A piece of friendly advice. Your postings would come across better if you included the statement, "In my opinion" with them.

~ Larry

I was taught in grade school English that "in my opinion" should be taken for granted.
I would state fact and cite objective and professional sources, otherwise.

@O.G.,

I would agree, except that "Neo-Swing" is a style of music, which is just one part of what I consider "dieselpunk." If we break it down that far, we'd have to say "I am a retrofuturist who listens to neo-swing, watches neo-noir and reads neo-pulp." It's easier to use one term to catch all that. Dieselpunk seems to be the most widely-used example. I was only discussing where I believe the "punk" part of DP resides, since it is not very readily apparent in most of the dieselpunks I know. I've discussed this stuff a lot, with people online and at the monthly meeting of the group I run. Jonny B. Goode and I have talked about this a lot, actually.

TJL

I see now that the problem is that you need to work a little more politeness into your postings.

Making statements such as "I was taught in grade school..." is frankly rude. In addition, your posts are pushy and dismissive of the opinions of others. You come blasting onto the scene like some evangelist who has declared that he has the one true gospel and all others are heretics.

We all know that your comments are nothing more than your opinion. However, you push your opinion so hard and you're so dismissive of the views of others in your presentation that you come across as closed minded and disrespectful. 

I recommend that you start participating from the standpoint of an open minded and respectful sharing of ideas, which has always been the culture of this forum, rather than treating this site as a debate club.

O. G. Vodoun said:

I was taught in grade school English that "in my opinion" should be taken for granted.
I would state fact and cite objective and professional sources, otherwise.
Thank you Larry. I would have said that myself, except that I'm a relative newbie around here and felt it wasn't my place to do so.

The diplomatic Dieselpope speaks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service