Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Unexpected Dieselpunk?

Art Deco and decidedly diesel themes seem to crop up in the strangest places. Here's the oddest one I've found.

Note: I am intentionally leaving all dieselpunk/ steampunk themes as seen in Doctor Who and Torchwood out of this post (digging through 40+ years of Whovian lore to make a complete list).

This brings us to... My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

The character Rainbow Dash is the best example of a dieselpunk trope appearing out of nowhere, complete with goggles and a love for aviation.

Rainbow Dash's greatest dream is to join Equestria's aerial stunt team, the Wonderbolts. The evil pony villian, Nightmare Moon, preys on Rainbow Dash's desire by tempting her with a spot on the Shadowbolts (aka shadowy gothic Wonderbolts).

Here's the Wonderbolts in all their Art Deco poster glory.

(As can be seen in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Episode 1.)

Views: 584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent way to introduce little one's to Dieselpunk. Thanks for posting this, Taylor.
No problem! I have to admit, I'm a fan of the show- it's incredibly well-written, inoffensive to parents and children, and very enjoyable. My favourite character is definitely Rainbow Dash.

I just saw that years ago, DC gave all their comics pulp-style covers. You can see how they looked here:

DC pulp heroes

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service