Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

This is not trolling or an attempt to put folks on the spot but, at the end of the day, what are you hoping to do as a DP? 

Dress up?  Collect antique "man jewelry?" (Cufflinks, tie tacks, pocket watches, etc...) Hang out in a speak easy drinking bad hooch?  Compete in Zoot Shoots?  Just play RPGs?  Reenact WW I or II?  Catch Spanish Flu?  Sit quietly behind a computer and do nothing?  Own an antique car/plane/whatever?  Volunteer at a living history site or museum?  LARP?  Illustrate a DP graphic novel?  Furnish a DP man-land?  Wear a Fedora every day?  Have lunch at a 1930s diner every day?  Play online DP games?  Go to DP conventions?  For that matter, what would an ideal DP "convention" look like and include?  (Train ride, cruise, Model-A road rally, ?)

Views: 1090

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would agree. Over the last years, DP has developed into a genre of art and literature, but there is no living community as it exists in steampunk. Same is true for cyberpunk. Lots of art but no community.

In the past niche communities could thrive because like minded people had to take the opportunities to participate with each other because it was usually a rare event.  The internet and social media has made it easier to share but it has decreased the amount of actual face-to-face participation due to competition with every other niche community.

Let's face it, how many of us are only interested in one community.  Personally I would have a hard time choosing between conventions for;  Strategic board games, Roman/Greek/Ancient history, WWI re-enactment, Hard science fiction, Mechanical computation, Dieselpunk,  Steampunk, Gilbert & Sullivan, Pulp writing, etc.

When I was young I remember being a part of such communities by mail (not email).  It made opening the mail box a savory anticipation.  When any of the old communities announced a meeting or convention, people were prone to go because it may be the only get-together in years.

Now we have all sorts of opportunities but if you miss this particular one, another on is bound to come along soon.  This is a catalyst for lethargy.

Forgive my lamentations

I have too many bad habits like that too.  Living in a landlocked town participating in any of these group hobbies (SCA, fencing, Rev War, Landskencht, SP, DP, SASS, etc....) it quite a big production involving limited luggage space on expensive flights.  And I am just not as young and spry as I used to be.

I shall do what I can to keep DP welcome in SP events.  Like many genres, DP could just be one cult movie away from exploding in participation. 

Stephen Vossler said:

In the past niche communities could thrive because like minded people had to take the opportunities to participate with each other because it was usually a rare event.  The internet and social media has made it easier to share but it has decreased the amount of actual face-to-face participation due to competition with every other niche community.

Let's face it, how many of us are only interested in one community.  Personally I would have a hard time choosing between conventions for;  Strategic board games, Roman/Greek/Ancient history, WWI re-enactment, Hard science fiction, Mechanical computation, Dieselpunk,  Steampunk, Gilbert & Sullivan, Pulp writing, etc.

When I was young I remember being a part of such communities by mail (not email).  It made opening the mail box a savory anticipation.  When any of the old communities announced a meeting or convention, people were prone to go because it may be the only get-together in years.

Now we have all sorts of opportunities but if you miss this particular one, another on is bound to come along soon.  This is a catalyst for lethargy.

Forgive my lamentations

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service