Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Simple question for discussion.

Who is your diesel era hero?

Views: 652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fiction: Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin come to mind. The Basil Rathbone interpretation of Sherlock Holmes has some diesel flavor to it.

Historical Figures: Jimmy Doolittle, Preston Tucker, 1930's aircraft designers, 1950 show car designers.

Movie Makers: Fritz Lang and the makers of the original "Day the Earth Stood Still" and "War of the Worlds" movies.
H.G. Wells is certainly a diesel era hero. His works, such as Things to Come, predicted the horrors of air-based warfare and the threat of "the bomb." A giant statue of Jules Verne would probably replace the Statue of Liberty in Steampunk world.

From wiki:

Jules Verne's novels have been noted for being startlingly accurate anticipations of modern times. Paris in the 20th Century is an often cited example of this as it arguably describes air conditioning, automobiles, the Internet, television, even electricity, and other modern conveniences very similar to their real world counterparts.

Another example is From the Earth to the Moon, which, apart from using a space gun instead of a rocket, is uncannily similar to the real Apollo Program, as three astronauts are launched from the Florida peninsula and recovered through a splash landing. In the book, the spacecraft is launched from "Tampa Town"; Tampa, Florida is approximately 130 miles from NASA's actual launching site at Cape Canaveral.

In other works, Verne predicted the inventions of helicopters, submarines, projectors, jukeboxes, and other later devices. He also predicted the existence of underwater hydrothermal vents that were not discovered until years after he wrote about them.
I like them both, especially Wells, but I just can't consider them anything but steampunk.
A little piece of trivia. I understand the only reason the Martian war machines floated on repulsive force field "legs" was that they just couldn't figure out how to make a three legged machine look realistic. Regardless of what one thinks about Spielberg's version, though I liked it, he at least solved the tripod gait problem.
I love that house! They have one of the surviving houses at the Henry Ford Musem, and every time I go there, I have to wander around the house thinking "I wonder how I could talk them into letting me live here!" lol
William Ewart Fairbairn.
Nobody's mentioned Norman Bel Geddes, creator of Streamline Moderne and 1937's Futurama?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Bel_Geddes

Creator of Airliner #4 (see attached image)...how Deiselpunk is that?
Attachments:
Great pick, Cap'n. I can't believe we haven't mentioned Norman yet!
My faves are Doc Savage, of course, and..........The Shadow.
Well, my heroes/favourite people from the diesel era (RL) have to be the people in Germany who resisted the Nazis on their rise to power. It takes a lot of gumption and bravery to see a squad of stormtroopers with clubs coming your way and do anything other than run away, let alone pick a fight with them and kick them around some.

In terms of fictional people.... the only one I can think of is B.J. Blascowicz. Unless Valkyria Chronicles counts, being in a fictional universe...
I like your choices. For example, Dietrich Bonhoeffer has always been a hero of mine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

Damien Hewitt said:
Well, my heroes/favourite people from the diesel era (RL) have to be the people in Germany who resisted the Nazis on their rise to power. It takes a lot of gumption and bravery to see a squad of stormtroopers with clubs coming your way and do anything other than run away, let alone pick a fight with them and kick them around some.
In terms of fictional people.... the only one I can think of is B.J. Blascowicz. Unless Valkyria Chronicles counts, being in a fictional universe...
I have to say, the Confessing Church was cool, but I think groups like the Kreisau Circle were cooler. But the people I have more respect and admiration for than either of those groups were people who actualy physically fought Nazis. People like the Communist street gangs of the twenties, clashing with stormtroopers in the streets of Dresden and Berlin. People like Georg Elser, the man who planted the bomb that almost killed Hitler in the Bürgerbräukeller.

I also admire those who, as liberating allied and Soviet armies moved in on the Nazis, they picked up weapons and fought with them, to drive out their former oppressors.

That's just me though. I like the combat and more active conflict aspect of the diesel era. I think it was a great time in which people actually fought for their beliefs, unlike sit and Facebook about it.

Larry said:
I like your choices. For example, Dietrich Bonhoeffer has always been a hero of mine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

Damien Hewitt said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service