Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Simple question for discussion.

Who is your diesel era hero?

Views: 619

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also I gotta give it up for Teddy Roosevelt
Valery Chkalov, Vladimir Mayakovskiy, Howard Hughes, Roman Orlik, Dmitry Lavrinenko, Erich Remark... And many more.
Robert Capa, Tamara de Lempicka, Raymond Hood, Lee Miller, Douglas Fairbanks, Amelia Earhart, Robert Benoist
Heroes of the Flying Boats:

Edwin Musick (pilot - Pan Am)
Igor Sikorsky (designer)
Glen Curtis (designer)
Glen Martin (designer)
Pierre-Georges Latécoère (designer)
The Short Brothers (designers - Empire C- and G-class flying boats))
Henri Fabre (designer of the FIRST seaplane)
Juan Trippe (airline travel pioneer and "evil corporate monopolist" ;-) )
Murry Leinster for his short stories "1000 degrees below zero" and "The Silver Menace" and "Morale"
In fiction, Doc Savage, Tom Strong, the Shadow, the Spirit, Sky Captain, Edward Elric, and Indiana Jones.In history, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Nikola Tesla (honestly, the guy invented a flippin' DEATH RAY and alternating current) Harry Houdini, J. Robert Oppenheimer, Benny Goodman(making white-boy jazz cool), Glenn Miller, and Albert Einstein.
I have to throw my respect in for Nelson Eddy, as it was his films and music that peaked my interest in the era when I was a kid.

outside of that I think I could only add a long list of names that have already been mentioned in previous posts
Lovecraft, Houdini, Churchill, Eisenhower, Patton, and F.W. Murnau, the guy who directed Nosferatu.
Excellent choices.

Chris Johnson said:
Lovecraft, Houdini, Churchill, Eisenhower, Patton, and F.W. Murnau, the guy who directed Nosferatu.

I like most of the suggestions I've read, but I can't imagine a list of Diesel era heroes without :General Douglas MacArthur; explorer Percy Fawcett; singer Carlos Gardel; police detective and later a junta member Julio Alsogaray (Argentina's Elliot Ness); engineer Ferdinand Porsche; and Leslie Charteris' fictional character of Simon Templar, The Saint.  You know, there many prominent diesel era figures outside the US.

I would have to include Horace Elgin Dodge and John Francis Dodge, the "Dodge Brothers".  What they did with the V8 has become essential in Dieselpunk stories.  Whether it was running rum, evading police or running down gangsters a big block engine with lightning speed is necessary.

Teddy Roosevelt was an impressive figure, but wasn't he really in the Steampunk era instead?  I think of WWI as the dividing line.  For example, it wasn't until the 1920s that there was the relative economic prosperity that made possible many of the items associated with the Dieselpunk era.  In contrast, Franklin Roosevelt was from the Dieselpunk era.

Eric McCormick said:

Also I gotta give it up for Teddy Roosevelt

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by