Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Simple question for discussion.

Who is your diesel era hero?

Views: 644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Isadora Duncan... though she is a little shy of Diesel... she certainly made her impact upon the spirit of the times... she is considered the foremother of modern dance.

Dorothy Parker!

Adventuress Alexandra David-Neel.

And a shout-out to the Partisans, and the leaders of the Jewish resistance in Warsaw - in particular, Mordecai Anilowicz. You are my heroes!
If it's not too cheesy, my Grandma. First female truck driver and hairdresser in the British army (according to her, I just took her word for it) then raised two sons on her own.
What is your grandmother's name?

BakelitePunk said:
If it's not too cheesy, my Grandma. First female truck driver and hairdresser in the British army (according to her, I just took her word for it) then raised two sons on her own.
Minnie Cochrane, even her name is cool.
Minnie Cochrane is a hero. Give her a hug for me.

BakelitePunk said:
Minnie Cochrane, even her name is cool.
Ah, a few years too late unfortunately
My condolences.

However, she will be remembered, and isn't that what we all want?

BakelitePunk said:
Ah, a few years too late unfortunately
She certainly will.

One of my favourite stories about Grandma;

When she first met my wife (a New Zealander) she said "Ee I had a New Zealander in the war". I was just about to shout "Grandma!" and crawl under the sofa when I thought maybe it was generational-language-gap thing, maybe I had just misunderstood or something. But no, she went on to say how my Granda and her, on going into the services, made the decision that since there was a good chance at least one of them wouldn't be coming back they should just just carry on with life until was all over. I think that is a pretty heroic attitude.

Speaking of the wife, she used to say her grandad served in the Pacific, but would never talk about it beyond saying stuff like "Oh all we did was sit on the beach drinking cocktails and watching the native girls." I asked her where he served and she said she thought it was Guadalcanal. "Umm, darling, I don't think there was much sitting on the beach in Guadalcanal." She replied saying that come to think of it he would never let his grandsons play with guns or anything.

She now works with a territorial serviceman who deals with archiving of records and the like. She came in from work last night and said "Mr such-and-such has just told me Grandad was on the frontline in Guadalcanal then transferred to Europe." Sitting on the beach drinking cocktails and watching the native girls!
BakelitePunk, you should be proud of her and make sure your children and grandchildren know her story. A true hero.
I am and I will for sure
Fictional:
Flash Gordon
Buck Rogers
Dick Tracy
Spy Smasher
Indiana Jones
Doc Savage
The Shadow

Artists:
Every pulp novel cover artist ever born!!!
Dave Stevens
Frank Kaluta
Chester Gould

Designers & Architects:
Raymond Lowey
Norman Bel Geddes
Eric Mendelsohn
Buckminster Fuller
Harley Earl (for the GM Futureliner alone)

Film Makers:
Fritz Lang - Director
Alexander Korda - Producer
William Cameron Menzies - Director
William Witney - Director
I like the Victorian New Orleans setting, with music and art and voodoo and debauchery at it's finest. The Storyville district attracted luminaries like P.T. Barnum (one of my favorites). Another favorite is Marie Laveau, a voodoo priestess so popular she was allowed to practice in the catholic church.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service