Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

This is a pretty cool concept. Some gun afficionados who are also lovers of the diesel era started a club where they dress in period clothing and fire period guns. (Not at each other, of course, but they do compete against each other.) The site is very retro as well. Looks like they only have a few "clubs" so far but something like this could catch on!

http://www.zootshooters.com/

Views: 486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fun! There used to be a once-a-month meeting at the local shooting range near my house where they fired historic weapons.

Let me tell you, even without the drum magazine, Thompson machine guns are damn hard to control if you try to go full auto. You're better off aiming the barrel ahead of your forward facing foot and letting the gun climb to it's target. Otherwise, you're just shooting the clouds.
I would expect you might want to turn it 90 degrees and fire it "gangsta" style? Then you'd spray in an arc across your target, am I right? (I got no clue, never fired one before...)

Tome Wilson said:
Fun! There used to be a once-a-month meeting at the local shooting range near my house where they fired historic weapons.
Let me tell you, even without the drum magazine, Thompson machine guns are damn hard to control if you try to go full auto. You're better off aiming the barrel ahead of your forward facing foot and letting the gun climb to it's target. Otherwise, you're just shooting the clouds.
Hey, this is something that could really catch on I bet here in Texas.
One of my favorite guns of the "gangsta stile" is the Lepage .45 cal
my kingdom for a zip gun that wouldn't kill me if I fired it :)
It's times like this that I really really wish, as a fan of firearms, that Canada didn't have such strict gun laws and next to no gun clubs D:
Off topic: I really like your Image Pablo.

Pablo J. Alvarez said:
One of my favorite guns of the "gangsta stile" is the Lepage .45 cal
I find this image, and feel like mine, but the mirror don't think the same.
The other gun I like Is the Astra 400. When I had licence in my country I use the .380.Superauto like 9mm long and don´t have problem.

I already do SASS so I don't know if I need another shooting hobby especially with the price of ammo.  Fortunately there does not seem to be a group within hundreds of miles to tempt me. 

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=108.0

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/04/135410415/zoot-shooters-bring-gangste...

Still no sign of Zoot Shoots starting up here (ammo prices are not helping) but I found a couple useful (at least to me as a CAS) comments:

...It's not that different from Cowboy shooting.  Safety first, followed by FUN.  

The major differences are:

We do have a lot of movement so be sure of your muzzle direction and don't violate the 180.

We load at a loading table but we unload on the line under the RO's supervision.

You can shoot at a target as many times as you want to until you hit it or on paper targets until you’re happy with your hits.

You can load as many rounds as you want to and abandon guns (if their safe and pointed in a safe direction) and move on to others.

You don't have to stand in one place and shoot.  You can be moving and shooting at the same time (but don't have to) and will have the opportunity to do this with all three guns at this match.  Just be sure your finger is outside the trigger guard when you’re moving and not actually shooting.

We have pistol only and rifle and pistol shooting categories.  You will still engage the long gun targets with the guns you do have and many (but not all) times you will have an option of using rifle or pistol to engage the shotgun targets.  Any time you’re engaging a long gun (rifle or shotgun) target with a hand gun you can use a two hand hold if you wish to.

You’re not required to carry guns or ammo on your person (many ladies in dresses don't) they can all be staged where ever you wish in the capper.  We provide barrels and tables for this purpose and the shooter can move the barrels around to make this possible as long as no safety issues are observed like the chance you may put a gun down on one of the barrels and then run in front of it later in the caper.

I’m sure you’ll find a few more minor differences but refer back to my first statement, safety first followed by FUN.

G Man

Just a quick note about costumes for the Zoot match.  In an attempt to keep it from becoming a military reenactment sport (not that I think that’s bad) Hustler prohibited all military uniforms.  I convinced him to revise that to allow military uniforms if they had a relationship to the prohibition era.  Some examples would be Coast Guard, RCMP or Mexican Federalies.  If you want to wear a 20s or 30s uniform please be creative with your back story. 

On the other hand AZSA costumes are really easy.  Just about any Good Will store (you may have to hit more than one) will provide most everything you need.  A bit oversized suit (single or double breasted, with or without a vest, the wider the lapels the better) will be great.  If you’re going to wear a tie with that suit remember to tie it short so it ends at about mid stomach.

How about knickers, very popular in the 20’s and not just for golf but that’s a great AZSA costume as well.  If you can’t find knickers any loose fitting pants bloused just below the knee with a big rubber band will give you the look.  Hang them from a pair of suspenders (even I can sew buttons on a pair of pants) and you’re good to go. 

Button up shirts and sweaters were popular but t shirts weren’t.  As a matter of fact what the kids today call a “wife beater” was the t shirt style of choice in that time but it was also rare for someone to go out of the house in just this shirt. 

Everyone wore a hat and the first thing everyone thinks about is the fedora, but remember, the snap brim (driver style) hats were almost as popular.  In the west the cowboy hat never gave way to the fedora.  How about a straw boater or skimmer, this was the summer time hat of choice for many a man in the 20s and 30s.

Hope that helps.

These explanations help me make a little more sense out of the championship results: 

AZSA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS RESULTS

COSTUME CONTEST
   MEN               LADIES
      G Man                   Queenie

SNUBNOSE REVOLVER (.30 Caliber or larger)
MEN                       LADIES
1   Pop Woody            Queenie
2   The Swede
3   Capt. Campbell

BANKERS SPECIAL REVOLVER (.25 Caliber or smaller)
    MEN               LADIES
1   Pop Woody 
2   Cat Daddy
3   G Man

SEMI AUTO POCKET PISTOL (.30 Caliber or larger)
   MEN               LADIES
1   Cat Daddy            Queenie
2   The Swede
3   Capt. Campbell

SEMI AUTO VEST POCKET PISTOL (.25 Caliber or smaller)
   MEN               LADIES
1   The Swede         Queenie
2   G Man
3   Paladin Pete

FASTEST SEMI AUTO PISTOL
       MEN               LADIES
The Undertaker

FASTEST REVOLVER
   MEN               LADIES
Doc Murdock

FASTEST RIFLE (Main Match Gun)
   MEN               LADIES