Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Announcing the Dieselpunk ePulp Showcase 2.

To all interested parties.

With the success of the Dieselpunk ePulp showcase it was inevitable that we make a second ebook. So now I'm officially announcing the start of DPES 2!

This announcement comes six months in advance, so I hope that gives everyone who wants in plenty of time to craft their story. If we can start collecting the stories around thanksgiving, we can publish sometime in December.

For those of you unfamiliar with the first project it's basically a group publishing / marketing experiment and anyone who wants to participle is welcome. Once it's done it will be available for free on just about every ebookstore imaginable.

The DPES1 went so smoothly we're going to approach DPES2 the same way.

Just like before i don't want to get bogged down by overcomplicated rules, but here is a framework to operate within. (For those of you who participated the first time it's basically the same drill). Ready?

** Dieselpunk ePulp Showcase 2 submission guidelines.

1 your story should be something diesel, but the individual writer gets to decides what the phrase means to them.
2 stories should be somewhere be between 4000 and 8000 words.
3 poetry is welcome
4 whatever you create, it should be complete/self-contained/stand-alone idea.
5 you are responsible for having your own work edited.
6 the individual is responsible for their own copyrights.
7 it has to be original material (as in, it can't be a Shadow reprint or a story featuring batman)
8 the stories will be put in random order in the final anthology.
9 text only
10 use your existing characters in these short stories if you want to.
11 the final will only be an ebook.
12 stories should be in English.

** What are the terms?

once the ebook is live you can't pull your stuff out, but you can publish your material wherever else you want, since you are the copyright holder.

** what is John Picha willing to put in?

- the ISBN
- the Cover
- at least one story
- make all the epub, mobi and pdf files
- publish the final on every ebookstore I have access to.
- keep everything as simple and as un-sticky as possible.
- try and wrangle another intro out of tome. ha ha.
- answer any questions as they arise.

** What are the goals?

This experiment can be for fun, but it's also a promotional space for existing series as well a tool to build dieselpunk awareness.

After each story the writer can have a promo-space to direct others to more of their work something like... "be sure to look for more "adventures of "X" on your favorite eBookstore."

I'm not too worried about making a lot of rules for this part, just think of it as an ad for yourself, just don't make to too long. ha ha.

** wrapping up

basically i hope making the DPES2 is fun a learning experience for everyone who wants to participate. At the end I'm sure we'll have an anthology we can all be proud of. I know that's what happened last time.

** How do we get started?

- If you're interested just let us know, then start writing.
- Whoever writes something that meet the guideline is in.
- There is no approval process.
- It's not a contest it's an experiment.
- Every time we need an unbiased choice I'll roll a six sided dice to decide.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Ladies and gentlemen start your typing.

John

Views: 1373

Replies to This Discussion

N.R.,

welcome to the team.

i look forward to the spice you'll add to the DPES2 mix.

john

The story I'm writing also features a strong female lead. Not a "femme fatale," more like a female Sky Captain. Should I go another direction with my submission, or keep to this concept? 

John,

your idea sounds great to me, but don't get the wrong idea, i'm not putting myself in the position of "idea approver". ha ha.

if you've spent time on this site, i'm sure you've formed an impression of what DP can be. use that as your guide and be sure to have fun.

john

John Taylor said:

The story I'm writing also features a strong female lead. Not a "femme fatale," more like a female Sky Captain. Should I go another direction with my submission, or keep to this concept? 

The world needs more strong female leads.  Go for it!

This might be prompted because I am watching Breaking Bad.  Other than Skyler, not many other strong women on the show.  Of course, a lot of people hate the character, but I am not sure how they'd want Walter White's wife to be like.  Other than her, not too many of the female characters are developed, they are more like revenge plot points...they die, someone close to them dies, etc, so the male character has to take action.

Makes me also think of Women in Refrigerators:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators

More female leads! :)  Please! 

John Taylor said:

Progress Report: I finished my rough draft yesterday, approximately 6000 words. I figure on rewriting until the end of this month, beta feedback in September and October, final rewrite in November. Plenty of time.

Can anyone here recommend a good place to get beta readers for dieselpunk?

Russell,

Congratulations on your progress milestone.

I have a suggestion for a beta reading. maybe the DPES2 team could create a sort of beta-read-circle. I suspect others in the group will be interested, but we'd need to find out who. Each participants could go through a series of 'if i read yours, will you read mine" swaps. Then keep repeating till everyone is covered. Since we are dealing with short stories, most likely the feedback will come quick. 

Once i'm ready, i'll be happy to participate, so you can count me in. I suspect N.R. will want to play too.

if anyone reading this thread is interested in beta-read swaps, just jump into the thread so we can get a list going.

sound good?

john

Russell Secord said:

Progress Report: I finished my rough draft yesterday, approximately 6000 words....

There are several secure collaboration sites, such as Google Docs (although you need a Google account). Anybody have a preference? Do we pick one for the group, or do some of you have something already set up?

By the way, I'm in.

Russell,

I sugget we handle the beta swaps more personally, like this...

- person "A" sees that person "B" is interested in doing a beta swap.

- so A contacts B and trades stories. (doc, docx, rtf, text, pdf etc)

- A and B run through the each other's story and make notes.

- once done, they send them back to each other. than A can decide what notes from B, A wants to keep and modify the story. 

- Once completed A looks for another beta reader interested in swapping and repeats the steps. 

i suspect the one-on-one swaps will make it easier to set an expectation with the partners and keep things equitable so one individual doesn't beta read 4 stories but no one reads his. 

the other benefits would be...,

- no one has to manage the process.

- it takes the guess work out of the process.

- the individual barterers are making their own deals. 

- we can connect people who are actually looking for beta feedback.

- you can start whenever you find a willing participant.

sound good?

john

Russell Secord said:

There are several secure collaboration sites, such as Google Docs (although you need a Google account). Anybody have a preference?

** ATTENTION DPES2 TEAM MEMBERS **

For those of you who are done or close to done, are you interested in participating in beta-read-swaps? if you are just post a "beta-yes" so we can help connect people. there is no time like the present.

thanks

john

beta-yes (once rewrite is done, couple weeks at most)

My initial draft is two thirds complete, I need about three weeks before I'm beta read ready. My story will be 7,300-8000 words when complete. I'm in the middle of re-writing a scene now to speed it up a bit.

Showcase Team.

it's NOV1, so we are about a month any from collecting stories for the DPES2. i just thought i'd pop in with this no pressure reminder, and to see how everyone is doing.

Also, if anyone is looking for feedback on their stories, and wants to participate in the beta-read-swaps Russell suggested, now might be a good time to initiate those.

John

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service